Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Icon shows connection, but Im not connected?  (Read 3603 times)

Eredell

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Icon shows connection, but Im not connected?
    « on: May 08, 2007, 01:54:28 PM »
    Hello,

Im using an onboard LAN port from my MB ( P5N-E SLI ), when I plug in the cable, wich is running to a router wich supports another computer, Windows XP shows the LAN and Internet to be connected. But will not allow me to connect to any internet applications, as if it were not connected. When I go to "View Network Connections" and Click on the "Internet Connection Icon" Everything such as the speed and such says Not Available, but I can see the LAN is recieving Bytes and what not.

Thanks,
    Mike 8)

Sid

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Icon shows connection, but Im not connected?
      « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 01:54:58 PM »
      Hello,

Im using an onboard LAN port from my MB ( P5N-E SLI ), when I plug in the cable, wich is running to a router wich supports another computer, Windows XP shows the LAN and Internet to be connected. But will not allow me to connect to any internet applications, as if it were not connected. When I go to "View Network Connections" and Click on the "Internet Connection Icon" Everything such as the speed and such says Not Available, but I can see the LAN is recieving Bytes and what not.

Thanks,
      Mike 8)

Right click on the network connection, then scroll down to TCP/IP, click properties, and make sure "Obtain IP automatically" and "Obtain DNS automatically" are chosen, then disable (right click), then wait a few moments, and enable it (again right click), open an internet browser.

If you're still having problems open Internet Explorer, go into tools, inet options, connections tab, never dial a connection, then into LAN settings, auto detect, OK, into advanced tab, reset all defaults, OK.  Then close and re-open IE...any luck?

Still having issues?