Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My laptop can no longer detect my internet connection!!  (Read 5113 times)

Clueless

My laptop can no longer detect my internet connection!!
« on: May 16, 2007, 01:43:41 AM »
Can anyone help? My wireless internet has been working fine for the last 3 years and all of a sudden the computer says it cannot connect the internet. The router is still working, my broadband provider says the internet connection is fine and suggest it's something to do with drivers/drives? on my laptop - any suggestions?

P.S: The laptop can detect the wireless networks of the neighbours but not my own!

Sid

Apprentice
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: My laptop can no longer detect my internet connection!!
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 11:52:12 AM »
    Have a look in the device manager (control panel, system, hardware) are there any X, !, or ?'s?

How techie are you, and what have you already tried to resolve this issue?

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 12:22:54 PM »
    Can you connect to your router with other wireless computers?
    Unplug the router for a minute and then try connecting again. Sometimes all the router needs is a little cool down time.
    What kind of card is it? What kind of laptop?

MeRK

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 05:58:49 PM »
      I had this problem before.  But as I am not a very proficient user of the computer I will just tell you what I did without the technical terms.  The thing that was causing the problem in my case was that someone new moved in next door and they also had wireless connection set up and my laptop was picking up on that signal which was stronger.  But since I had no access to that router, it wasn't allowing me to get on the internet.  What I did to solve the problem was to disable all other wireless connection on my list of wireless connections and only keep mine from my router open.  I made sure there was incription enabled and  my laptop started to work fine... well after about 3 restarts (I don't know why this helped but it all of sudden worked after about 3 restarts).  I don't know if this helps at all but good luck!

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 03:36:28 AM »
      And if that is indeed the problem then you could change your broadcast channel on your router.