Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win98 - colour and crashing probs  (Read 10620 times)

samaritan

Win98 - colour and crashing probs
« on: May 14, 2007, 04:53:08 PM »
I am trying to help a friend who has problems with win 98 on his desktop (‘Spacewalker’ -homebrew?) but it might be a case of the blind leading the blind – I apologise!
Prob 1…the colours suddenly became haywire, - I have tried ‘color management’ options but what ‘colour profile’ should I be using? We only seem to get 16 bit. option.
Prob 2…tried to install latest AVG antivirus from a CD (downloaded separately) but only gets part way through before crashing. I have removed all other virus software as it was out of date.
Prob 3… crashing regularly!! sure slows up resolving the issues!
If it is a virus, then installing a virus prog seems important. Can I do anything before considering a complete reboot – and I’m not certain how to go about that! 
(PS: I am trying to convince them to upgrade which is perhaps the next option!)

GX1_Man

Re: Win98 - colour and crashing probs
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:30:57 PM »
Spacewalker was a line of Shuttle motherboards, not necessarily bad ones.

The lack of color more than 16 may have to do with the video drivers. Either they need to be reinstalled, or they need to be adjusted. That is done by right clicking on the desktop and choosing properties. Start by looking in Control Panel/System and see what video adapter is listed.

The computer did not have any current antivirus on it? Any spyware protection? If you can get on the internet, you may want to go to www.trendmicro.com and try the free online scanner.

You can download and install Everest Home, run it and choose to make a report. Copy and paste the info here (at least the first part) and we can advise.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Do you have a real Windows CD?

wylder_cooper

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 08:52:52 AM »
    honestly i think that you might have a bad monitor, but it depends on if you have a flat screen or a CRT.

samaritan

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 04:43:49 PM »
    Thanks for your help guys. We have an outdated AVG antivirus so I downloaded the new version onto a CD and tried to install it on my friend's Spacewalker - all other AVG files and Nortons were deleted in case they were reacting. As I said, it won't complete the installation, and now when we try and go on-line (to try and check the system as per your Everest) it says "systemIN file no longer exists, and device file no longer exists" - I only deleted anything with AVG or Symantec in it. So can't go on line - and it won't close without switching the power off !!  It has anti spyware and we updated that a short while ago.
    The monitor is a CRT and has been fine - just the pic colours hopeless.
    In colour management we have the option of selecting a 'color profile' what should this be?
    This 'greenie' is struggling with this but appreciate your input.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »
    honestly i think that you might have a bad monitor, but it depends on if you have a flat screen or a CRT.

So if it is a flat screen the monitor is ok or are you saying if they have a CRT then the monitor is ok ? ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wylder_cooper

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:07:26 AM »
      i think that if you have a Flat Screen Monitor, you need to change the colors to 24 bit.
      If your monitor is a CRT i would try moving the color to 24 bit.
      Abova Al the first thing that i would try re-installing the driver for your video card

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 08:20:22 PM »
      i think that if you have a Flat Screen Monitor, you need to change the colors to 24 bit.
      If your monitor is a CRT i would try moving the color to 24 bit.
      Abova Al the first thing that i would try re-installing the driver for your video card

So what's broke...the flat screen or the CRT ? ? ?

When offering advice it's best to think things through before hitting the Post button.

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

samaritan

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 03:09:37 AM »
      Is anyone interested in actually helping me with this?     

GX1_Man, we only have a 16bit option under ‘Display’ – no other option. Where exactly do I find the video adapter? (– I told you I was a greenie).
      And how do I re-install the device driver it now says I deleted and therefore can’t get a connection?  I’m really sorry but I’m outa my depth!

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 04:01:06 AM »

You can download and install Everest Home, run it and choose to make a report. Copy and paste the info here (at least the first part) and we can advise.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Do you have a real Windows CD?

Did you do this and answer the question? We are interested in helping, but you have to be interested in participating in the process.  ;)

samaritan

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 04:17:56 PM »
      As I said, we can’t currently get on line with the Spacewalker - must have deleted something! ( a driver?) but I will copy Everest to a CD on my PC and try and run it on my friend’s PC and see if we can learn anything. Watch this space! Which bit of info is most important?

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 06:30:20 PM »
      It's a big report, so it may take several posts. The first half is the most important.

samaritan

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 07:57:17 PM »
      Sure is a lot of info (phew!) - managed to copy via CD and my PC!  How's this for a start?........

Report Type                                       Quick Report
          Computer                                          NELIC PC (Nevada Celeron 300)
          Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998 (Win98 Retail)

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
            Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 98
            OS Service Pack                                   -
            DirectX                                           4.08.00.0400 (DirectX 8.0)
            Computer Name                                     NELIC PC (Nevada Celeron 300)

Motherboard:
            CPU Type                                          Intel Celeron, 300 MHz
            Motherboard Name                                  Shuttle HOT-671  (1 ISA, 3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio)
            Motherboard Chipset                               Intel 82440EX
            System Memory                                     64 MB
            BIOS Type                                         Award Modular (06/12/98)
            Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM2)
            Communication Port                                Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
            Video Adapter                                     SiS 6326  (4 MB)
            3D Accelerator                                    SiS 86C326
            Monitor                                           AcerView 54e  [15" CRT]  (824513)

Multimedia:
            Audio Adapter                                     OPTi 86C931 Audio Card

Storage:
            IDE Controller                                    Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
            IDE Controller                                    Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
            IDE Controller                                    Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
            Floppy Drive                                      GENERIC NEC  FLOPPY DISK
            Disk Drive                                        GENERIC IDE  DISK TYPE46
            Optical Drive                                     NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:282  (40x CD-ROM)
            SMART Hard Disks Status                           Unknown

Partitions:
            C: (FAT32)                                        4094 MB (2334 MB free)

Input:
            Keyboard                                          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
            Mouse                                             PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

Network:
            Network Adapter                                   PPP Adapter.
            Modem                                             Genius GM336-V 33.6K Int. SpeakerPhone Voice Fax-Modem

Peripherals:
            Printer                                           Canon  BJC-4200SP (Copy 2)
            Printer                                           Canon  BJC-4200SP
            USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82371AB/EB PIIX4 - USB Host Controller

--------[ DMI ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ BIOS ]

BIOS Properties:
            Size                                              64 KB
            Boot Devices                                      Floppy Disk, Hard Disk
            Capabilities                                      Unknown
            Supported Standards                               DMI
            Expansion Capabilities                            Unknown

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 04:13:30 AM »
      Apparently you are using the onboard video SiS chip. Shuttle no longer maintains a driver for this.

http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download_File.asp?Item=HOT-671

You may be able to find it on www.driverguide.com (registration is free, like here) and download it.

Another alternative would be to get a cheap PCI or older AGP card and use that.

samaritan

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 03:06:17 AM »
      Only managed to locate a 6300 driver, not 6326 as installed. Anyway, the installed driver shows as ‘working properly’ (– presumably I can rely on this?).  Maybe better just to wipe everything and start over ?(there is some possibility of an infection!) We have the Win98 CD. What’s the process? Or is it possible to just go back to an earlier date with win98?

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 10:26:49 AM »
      Windows 98 has no "system restore" function. If you have the original CD andmaybe a boot disk if you need one, print out that full Everest report and save the driver you downloaded. If this a >2 yr. old install your machine might be a lot happier.

Be sure and download IE6 from the Microsoft site, as you will not be able to get any Windows updates until this is installed.  ;)