Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Networking with Vista.  (Read 3823 times)

bribow

Networking with Vista.
« on: May 06, 2007, 08:23:55 AM »
Hi All,
Please could someone help me out here, I'm going mad very fast trying to get this sorted out. ::)

For many years I have had a Desktop PC running XP Home.
I then bought myself a Laptop with XP home on it, this I set up with a wireless network using a NETGEAR router, and it has worked fine for me.

Recently I bought a new Laptop with Win Vista Basic on it which I want the family to use.

BUT I have tried everything I know to get the Vista laptop running on wireless internet.
My Vista laptop tells me that it has seen the NETGEAR router (it flashes on the task bar) But when I click on it, the password window comes up (I have it Protected) I type in the password, then a window comes up "can't connect to NETGEAR, please try again", this happens everytime and I just cant get onto the internet.

I would be most grateful if someone out there could tell me what I'm doing wrong, or is it VISTA?

I have been told to look for -: "Wireless Zero Config" using Services.msc
I have also been told to look for "wzcsvc" using Regedit.

Neither of these entries exist on my Vista Laptop, is this the reason I'm unable to network it?

I look forward to seeing a reply from some kind person, that will get me out of this hole I have dug for myself when I foolishly bought a LAptop with Vista on it.

I am neither a beginner or expert at computing, just in the middle so please be gentle with me.

Hope all this info helps.
Regards
bribow.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Networking with Vista.
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 08:44:20 AM »
    Try disabling the firewall & connecting.  If that doesn't work, temporarily disable your security on the router and try again. 

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Networking with Vista.
    « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 02:49:24 PM »
    Chances are, if you were to buy a new laptop with Windows XP on it, you would have the same problem.

On my Netgear router, I have a Wireless Settings>Access List feature
    If you have Access List enabled, disable it (and then add the Vista laptop, and add the MAC Address)