Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PCI Configuration Failure!!  (Read 3146 times)

fun2craft

PCI Configuration Failure!!
« on: October 26, 2004, 09:45:46 PM »
 :o
My neighbour gave me an old computer which they were having problems with. When I use my startup disk for win98se it comes back with an error message: PCI CONFIGURATION FAILURE. The Cdrom stops running when I try to install the win98se. This kept happening so I bought a REALLY Cheap new hard disk for this old 486 Compaq Pessario! I think it has something to do with the cdrom drivers I don't know how to save/copy etc. them to the c drive HELP!! Please. I have tried everything!

Would love to save this one!! Even if just for my 4 kids to play paint on!!

Computer_Commando

Re: PCI Configuration Failure!!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 09:58:58 AM »
I had the same problem with a Pentium 1-60.  Your 486 dates to around 1990-1992.  Hardware was changing every couple months.  PCIBus was just beginning and was not in it's 1st generation configuration.  There are no PCI slots in your computer and the CDROM does not plug into the motherboard, it connects to an ISA card.  ISA is the bus (card slots) used at the time.  You need the manufacturer's startup disks.  Because it's Compaq (now owned by HP), you may have a slim chance of locating these.

Even if you can get Win98 to load and run, it will be extremely slow.  Minimum hardware requirements are:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182751