Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wierd video playback problem  (Read 2254 times)

the_seraphim

wierd video playback problem
« on: May 26, 2007, 10:04:30 PM »
ok im on xp 64 bit on a amd athlon 3800+ 64 bit  dual core. asustek am2nv3-vsta mobo, (nforce 3, latest forceware (6.25) crashes it so its on whatever came with it) nvidia geforce 7600 gs on agp 512 mb (stupid tech support left the wrong mem module in! sort that out on tuesday) ddr2 667 ram,

problem is, (occurs with vlc, window media 6.4 and windows media 11, and i assume, most others) whenever i play a video of any type, the refresh rate drops to nothing, i can see the buttons being drawn piece by piece and the screen goes black at random till i manage to end process on it (after a while) then its mostly back to normal except the buttons like the close and minimize stay black in all windows till restart.

ive tried various codecs, to no avail....

windows itsself can display a frame of the video for a thumbnail but i dont even get a single frame of video when i playback, i do get mostly alright sound though.

edut ---- 

i know its not a cpu issue, i set the affinity and the prioirty to cpu 0 and low that left a spare cpu to handle the rest and it should have prioritiesed the rest anyway, so my thinking is something, somewhere is sending un-translatable commands to the video card...

p.s. that runs tom clancy splinter cell double agent fine, no issues

haycg

Rookie

Re: wierd video playback problem
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 11:46:25 AM »
    Would this be of any benefit to you?
    copy and paste below.

Establishes what video codecs (audio and video) are required to play an AVI file.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm