Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Creating A Web Survey Template?  (Read 11025 times)

Wordsmith

Creating A Web Survey Template?
« on: October 23, 2004, 12:03:32 AM »
Dear Web Wizards,

Is there a simple way a web survey template can be set up which can be modified for different uses and where the results / responses can be automatically directed to an email address?

What details would you need to set up a mock template?

Would love to hear from you...

Wordsmith

Corrosive

Re: Creating A Web Survey Template?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 08:22:26 AM »
There are quite literally hundreds of ways you could do this, ranging from downloading the page, updating it and uploading it again, right the way through to full-blown back-end systems with database access.

Due to the amount of ways you can do this, I'd like to ask you a few questions:
1: Are you familiar with any web development languages (ie HTML, Javascript, PHP, ASP etc)?
2: How long are you willing to spend getting this up and running?

Wordsmith

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 10:24:51 AM »
Dear Corrosive,

I would be deligthed to work on something that can be comprehensive and can be applied to various topics or requirements.

1. I am fairly familiar with HTML and have created basic web pages and added free scripts for drop down menus and so on. Very basic.

2. I don't mind devoting as much time as is required to get this the web survey up and running.

Thank you for you response and look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Wordsmith   8)

Wordsmith

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 10:25:58 AM »
Oops. Delighted was spelled wrong. Please forgive me.
Wordsmith

Corrosive

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 12:49:24 PM »
No need to apologise about your spelling - there's worse out there, believe me...

Anyway, I forgot to add 1 extra question, being about how much money you were willing to spend. But as everybody likes a free lunch, I'll go through the more cost effective options...

The way I would go is with PHP or a similar scripting language. Now obviously this requires you to learn the language, but if you really want to get a good, customisable survey up and running, which could then be re-used, I reckon it's the way to go.

Advantages - Easy to update from an admin page, PHP (or whatever language you wish to choose: I just like PHP a lot) could also handle data processing instead of you manually doing it from email replies

Disadvantages - You'd need to learn PHP, you'd need a server that supports it, and you'd best check it supports MySQL databases too

Alternatively, you could just edit the HTML every time you need it changed. Probably not an option you'd like, but it's an option nonetheless.

You may also like to go a more commercial route. Macromedia Contribute costs £80, but allows you to specify... erm... specific areas of a webpage as editable. You can then simply update it just like you would update a Word Document.

If you like though, I may be able to help you if you go the PHP route. Programming is my main hobby and currently I don't really have anything useful to stick my teeth into. I've even coded a blog system that may be pretty easy to modify to suit you're needs.

If you are interested, confirm that you're server supports PHP and MySQL and we can talk specifics: thomasbisset [at] operamail [dot] com

Wordsmith

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 01:18:00 AM »
Thanks Corrosive,

Shall find out the details and follow-up with you. Appreciate your offer to help.

Cheers,
Wordsmith