Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba Laptop Tecra 8100, Hangs-up after POST  (Read 12239 times)

krishna_sahai

Toshiba Laptop Tecra 8100, Hangs-up after POST
« on: June 05, 2007, 06:55:30 PM »
Pressing the power-switch (mains power supply and battery indicator lights being already on), results in the following:-
  (a) Screen indicator light turns on.
  (b) Hard disc indicator light comes on for about 2 seconds and then goes off.
  (c) The dark screen has a message: Remove incompatible Memory module in bay A. When the same added memory module is transferred to bay B, the message mentions bay B.
2. When added memory module is removed, no message is shown on pressing the power switch thereafter.
3. On operating the re-set switch, the disc indicator light comes on for about 2 seconds and then goes off.
4. When power switch is pressed to turn off the computer, after exactly 30 beeps, the screen-indicator light  goes off, leaving the mains supply and battery indicator lights on.
5. Pressing Escape, F1 or F2 or in combinations after pressing the power switch does not show set-up. The screen stays dark.
6. Pressing power switch, after removing added memory module, battery, DVD drive and hard disc, does not present any message. Pressing switches as in para 5 above does not show set-up and  the screen remains dark. Pressing power switch to turn-off the computer gives 30 beeps as before.
Could somebody advise fix and oblige?

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
    Re: Toshiba Laptop Tecra 8100, Hangs-up after POST
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 07:05:50 PM »
    Did you add a new memory module to your computer?
    Does your computer work after you remove the memory module?

krishna_sahai

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 05:40:02 PM »
    Thanks.
    I am not the first user. There is only one module in the slot, the other slot is empty. Removing this only module results in what has been stated earlier. I thought  that the basic memory was inside the computer, as in some laptops, but as per user manual on line, the basic memory is supposed to reside in one of the slots: Aor B.

JohnK

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 05:49:40 PM »
    Okay, since I own this exact model of laptop, I should be able to help you here. First of all, no. There is no on board memory.
    You already tried the first thing I was going to suggest (swapping the memory between the two slots, because Tecra 8100's are notorious for memory slot failure).
    Now, it sounds to me like the RAM you put in it is either too slow, or too fast for the computer. Tecra 8100s take PC-100 RAM, so enusre that that's what you're trying to install.
    I've also noticed that some OEM RAM won't work in it either.
    But, did the RAM function properly at one point? If so, then it's a bad SODIMM.
    Your best bet would be to get a different SODIMM and test it.
    Good luck!
    -John

krishna_sahai

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 08:36:49 AM »
    Thanks.
    The PC100(existing) worked before. I am going to follow your suggestion.

krishna_sahai

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 05:47:12 PM »
    I replaced the defective one by a good PC 100 RAM 256MB. No change except that the error message asking removal of the incompatible memory did not appear again.
    It did not even enter set-up when Esc pressed immediately after pressing system power switch and waiting for instructions to pres F1. Hence, could not select "boot from CD drive" though I have installation software CD. It does not have internal floppy drive. I did not inherit the external.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 06:52:47 PM »
    Did you try traveling to the manuf. site for directions on clearing and re-setting the CMOS ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

krishna_sahai

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 12:54:27 PM »
    I went to manuf.com but could not locate information on clearing and re-setting CMOS. Please help.