Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help me anyone  (Read 25335 times)

naren_arsenal

help me anyone
« on: June 06, 2007, 04:21:52 AM »

I recently downloaded Fedora Core 6..
I already have windows Xp on my 256 MB RaM and P4 system./
I want to install linux with windows..I have installed windows on C drive and want to install linux on F drive(i have C D E and F drives)...i also should have the option of choosing linux or windows when my computer boots..plz tell me how to go about doing this... if anyone can tell me a step by step installation guide it cud be better.. 

contrex

Re: help me anyone
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:40:33 AM »
Step by step

1. Set BIOS to boot from Linux install CD
2. Insert CD
3. Reboot computer
4. Identify correct drive when asked for install location.

Linux install CD will do the rest.

naren_arsenal

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 12:07:38 AM »
But i did exactly what u suggested,before i asked this question...
the problem is sometimes the linux installation suddenly reboots when i try to install the second CD.. Now the computer boots automatically when i install the 1st cd itself...(the installation progresses for sometime and it suddenly reboots)
I think i dont know where to mount / and /boot.. and also where to install the boot loader(whether i shud use it on master disk or the first sector of the hard drive..)

banjo67xxx

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 11:50:38 AM »
But i did exactly what u suggested,before i asked this question...
the problem is sometimes the linux installation suddenly reboots when i try to install the second CD.. Now the computer boots automatically when i install the 1st cd itself...(the installation progresses for sometime and it suddenly reboots)

Suse linux reboots just once between the first and second CD. I don't know about Fedora, but it sounds like you might have a hardware fault with your computer.

I think i dont know where to mount / and /boot.. and also where to install the boot loader(whether i shud use it on master disk or the first sector of the hard drive..)

Partition your F: drive, and mount /, swap and /boot on it.

You need to put GRUB/LILO (the bootloader) on the first sector of C:

Make sure you put it on /dev/hda not /dev/hda1 as it needs to be on the first sector of the disk rather than the partition. If you do it wrong its a pain to have to use the XP recovery disk to stop your system getting stuck in a loop.

naren_arsenal

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 12:05:22 AM »
I am able to mount / on F drive(ie Hda 7) ,but how can i mount /boot on the same drive(F drive or hda 7).. and where do i use the swap partition.. Im really confused... :'(

banjo67xxx

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 04:07:42 PM »
I am able to mount / on F drive(ie Hda 7) ,but how can i mount /boot on the same drive(F drive or hda 7).. and where do i use the swap partition.. Im really confused... :'(

Ahhh, if F: is /dev/hda7 then you mean that you have C: D: E: and F: partitions (not drives). Partly my fault too for forgetting that Windows creates a new letter for the partitions as well as drives.

I'm not 100% sure if you can boot from an extended partition, so you might have to just define / as /dev/hda7 and forget about /boot and swap.

Alternatively, what do you use D: and E: for? Could you make them into extended partitions, so that you can keep /boot as a primary partition and put / and swap as other extended partitions?

(I was assuming you were talking about a slave HDD which you could partition up seperately)

naren_arsenal

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 11:54:40 PM »
Atlast now u get my point... :D
I use my D and E partitions for Music and other important things i don want to mess these partitions up...
So now can u tell me how to install linux on F partition.. and where do i use the / thing...I am not able to use the SWAP partitioning(Is SWAP partition really important)..
and also after i install linux i should have the option of Dual boot-up..I should have the option to choose either windows or linux...(i had partitioned my F drive as NTFS..if that is important)...

banjo67xxx

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 04:49:06 PM »
Atlast now u get my point... :D

Sorry about that - I'm a linux person and only recently started using Windoze
I use my D and E partitions for Music and other important things i don want to mess these partitions up...
So now can u tell me how to install linux on F partition.. and where do i use the / thing...I am not able to use the SWAP partitioning(Is SWAP partition really important)..
and also after i install linux i should have the option of Dual boot-up..I should have the option to choose either windows or linux...(i had partitioned my F drive as NTFS..if that is important)...

There are 2 ways to do this, one which might not work, and the other guaranteed to work.

a) Try and see if Grub/Linux can work with extended partitions

Load the linux CD, during the fdisk setup phase, tell it you want to replace F: with and extended partition, and then split that into F: G: and H: drives. Then you can mount /boot on /dev/hda7 (F:) / on /dev/hda8 (G:) and swap on /dev/hda9 (H:)

Hopefully, if its not going to work Linux will tell you straight away that its not supported, without you having to go through the rest of the install and then watch it crash.

b) Just use a single partition for linux

Load the Linux CD, during the fdisk setup phase tell it that / is on /dev/hda7 (F:) and that there is no seperate swap or /boot.

In both cases

The NTFS on F: will be erased automatically to make way for linux, so don't worry about that.

The bootloader(GRUB) needs to installed on /dev/hda to replace the MBR. Linux will automatically setup GRUB to give you the choice of booting from Windows on /dev/hda1 (C:) or Linux on /dev/hda7 (F:).

(As I said earlier, make sure you don't put GRUB on /dev/hda1 because then when you select Windows it will find GRUB on /dev/hda1 and you'll be back where you started. So GRUB must go on /dev/hda)

naren_arsenal

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 12:42:20 AM »
But During the Fdisk phase... when linux asks me where to install the bootsector ..it gives me only 2 options..
mASTER BOOT RECORD and
LOAD ON THE FIRST SECTOR OF /dev/hda7...
Im not gettin the option of loading bootrecord on /dev/hda....\
NOW WHAt the *censored* SHUD I DO... :-[

banjo67xxx

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 03:54:27 PM »
But During the Fdisk phase... when linux asks me where to install the bootsector ..it gives me only 2 options..
mASTER BOOT RECORD and
LOAD ON THE FIRST SECTOR OF /dev/hda7...
Im not gettin the option of loading bootrecord on /dev/hda....\
NOW WHAt the h**l SHUD I DO... :-[

The MBR (Master Boot Record) is /dev/hda, that's the one you want.

naren_arsenal

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 04:56:36 AM »
Ok..now i am able to use linux(fedora6) along with windows(dual boot)... thankx for all ur help...
Now i have another problem >:(...
i installed linux on hda7 and hda8...
here,s wat i did during installation....
i mounted /boot on hda7(its some 996mb)and then i mounted / on hda8..and then i used swap partition on hda5...(hda8 and hda5 is almost 9GB).....
now when i login to linux im not able to view the files i installed on windows(i.e e and c partitions)...and when i log in to windows im not able to view the d and f partitions(i.e the partitions i used durin linux installations)....
thts not all...
im not able to read the cdrom in linux...(its giving an error like:not able to mount /dev/hda1 or some crap like that)..wat do i do NOW!!!!...
i thought linux was user friendly..........
help:
does konsole work only when i use the KDE environment...
'cause when i run Konsole on the GNOME environment it doesnt show up...
im able to view the konsole only when i work in the KDE environment,,,,OH..wat an head ache i have...........

contrex

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 05:21:02 AM »
You know, these problems are just the normal starting-off-with-Linux problems that most people have. I know that I did, and I also know that Google is a big help.

Most of your problems that you have just described will be solved when you have a good understanding of the mount command.

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/mounting.html

Linux is user friendly, but it does not hold your hand like a baby. Your problems are just because you are new, it will get better!

Personally, I don't think Linux is suited to people whose method of "solving" a problem is to go to a forum and type "wat do i do NOW!!!!..."

PS it's spelled "what".

naren_arsenal

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 12:29:40 AM »

Personally, I don't think Linux is suited to people whose method of "solving" a problem is to go to a forum and type "wat do i do NOW!!!!..."

PS it's spelled "what".

[/quote]

ok then why do u have a linux forum in here..
Strip it off ::)

M1CH431

Hopeful
  • DuffMan!!!
    « Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 06:55:46 PM »
    You need to start somewhere

contrex

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 12:38:15 AM »
    What's wrong with the man pages or even Google?

Linux is not for wusses who cry for mommy the first time they get confused. It is for brave pioneers who love a challenge.

naren_arsenal

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 02:54:19 AM »
    Ok contrex...
    then why the f**k u advising people on how to use linux and stuff...
    go get urself a job...
    these forums are for those who want to help other people ...
    GET LOST FROM HERE..... >:(

contrex

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 03:03:46 AM »
    Oh dear! :(   Throwing the toys out of the perambulator...

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Google
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 03:11:23 AM »
    perambulator... i had one of those once... but isn't it one of those things babies suck on?  ;D
    Computer Hope

If I don't reply, I'm probably out returning videotapes.

contrex

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 03:19:24 AM »
    You're thinking of a 'pacifier'. Incidentally, in England they are called "dummies"...

(1) baby in perambulator

(2) baby with pacifier

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 03:36:41 AM by contrex »

Dark Blade

• Forum Gaming Master

• Adviser

• Yes
    « Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 03:45:36 AM »
    You're thinking of a 'pacifier'. Incidentally, in England they are called "dummies"...
    Well, it looks like naren_arsenal  has spit the dummy (excuse my weak pun).

But I think that contrex should just be a touch nicer to our visitors  ::)
    Linux is not for wusses who cry for mommy the first time they get confused. It is for brave pioneers who love a challenge.

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Google
    « Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 03:46:50 AM »
    btw.. i did mean perambulator :P
    Computer Hope

Dark Blade

• Forum Gaming Master

• Adviser

• Yes
    « Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 03:48:08 AM »
    Also known as... a pram?

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Google
    « Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 03:49:53 AM »
    yeah... i used to suck on my pram when i was a baby.. seems they have other things for babies these days to suck on... like those.. what are they called... pedofiers or something... not that's not it... pastafryer... i dunno...
    Computer Hope

contrex

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 03:55:51 AM »
    When I was a kid in England, you had prams and you had these things called pushchairs for when the kid got a bit bigger and could sit up. One was aware that Americans called pushchairs "buggies". Nowadays all the kids ride around in these awful looking monster contraptions with fancy wheels that cost a fortune that are called "buggies"... Also babies slept in "cots", whereas I believe Americans had "bassinets".

contrex

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 03:56:56 AM »

Do you think I went a bit too far there?  :)

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Google
    « Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 03:57:28 AM »
    i had a cot ;D i ate mine though.. i was a freaky child... i didn't eat the whole thing, and somehow i didn't get sick, but i ate the bars day by day and one day there just weren'tt any left  :-X
    Computer Hope

Dark Blade

• Forum Gaming Master

• Adviser

• Yes
    « Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 04:03:50 AM »

Do you think I went a bit too far there?  :)
    Yeh, just a bit. But you held your cool for a while, at least (but as I look back, you seem a little provocative).

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Google
    « Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 04:04:43 AM »
    i think everyone was within reason
    Computer Hope

contrex

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 04:08:24 AM »
    but as I look back, you seem a little provocative.

That is one of my failings... At the moment I am home sick from work, my leg is infected from a cut and swollen up with painful cellutitis and I am on double dose antibiotics and they are doing weird things to my head so maybe I should think before I pull the trigger...

naren_arsenal

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 05:48:37 AM »
    So contrex is more into perambulators and babies and all the other babystuff more than linux..... :P
    wat were u when u were like 18.. a BABYSITTER or something....

now back to my problem plzzzz..
    so can anyone( except contrex ofcourse...he knows more bout babies than linux) tell me how to mount my d partition on linux..and  also my c partition(NTFS)

contrex

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 06:23:36 AM »
    look at your /etc/fstab file and then look here

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

You could have found this in 1 minute using Google. You just had to look.

I already told you about the mount command. That was your clue. Did you use it? No. You chose to make a noise like a big baby. That's why I said Linux was not for you.

contrex

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 06:29:18 AM »
    now back to my problem plzzzz..

I think you now have got all the help you are going to get, naren_attitude.

naren_arsenal

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 12:36:12 AM »
    yeah...
    im cant blive im sayin this..but thanx a lot man...

contrex

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2007, 01:21:25 AM »
    yeah...
    im cant blive im sayin this..but thanx a lot man...

What??? Glad if it helped... Tuxfiles.org helped me a lot with starting Linux.

Well I'm sorry for being rude also...  :(

It is you who have taught me the lesson today.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 02:21:26 AM by contrex »

naren_arsenal

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2007, 03:46:17 AM »
    Im an Indian...
    So i have learnt to forgive...itss in my blood

banjo67xxx

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2007, 02:46:34 PM »
    now when i login to linux im not able to view the files i installed on windows(i.e e and c partitions)...and when i log in to windows im not able to view the d and f partitions(i.e the partitions i used durin linux installations)....

Bill Gates will never let you do that. I dunno if any clever geek has written something that will allows Windoze to read a linux partition, but I very much doubt it.

im not able to read the cdrom in linux...(its giving an error like:not able to mount /dev/hda1 or some crap like that)..wat do i do NOW!!!!...

If its the slave on the primary IDE controller it'll be /dev/hdb (or master on 2nd IDE is /dev/hdc etc) and not all linux installations mount it automatically. Try:

mount -t auto /dev/hdb /cdrom

Where you'll have to make sure /cdrom exists and hdb is the correct disk, etc.

contrex

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2007, 03:38:35 PM »
    Bill Gates will never let you do that. I dunno if any clever geek has written something that will allows Windoze to read a linux partition, but I very much doubt it.

Beware of dogmatic statements.

First 3 I found by Googling. All free.

(1)

Ext2IFS provides Windows NT4.0/2000/XP/2003 with full access to Linux Ext2 volumes (read access and write access). This may be useful if you have installed both Windows and Linux as a dual boot environment on your computer.

http://www.fs-driver.org/

(2)

Explore2fs is an ext2 & ext3 explorer for Win32

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Explore2fs/1061854388/1

(3)

Ext2Fsd is an open source linux ext2/ext3 file system driver for Windows systems (NT/2K/XP/VISTA, X86/AMD64).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd

There are others as well..

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #37 on: June 21, 2007, 06:56:31 PM »
    wow I wonder if the best way to get an answer is to make a statement saying that it is impossible. ;) Then everyone is dead-set to disprove it!
    I'll try one...
    You can't fry an egg on a cpu heat sink.
    I would have said something like you can't run bsd on a toaster, but that's already been done.

naren_arsenal

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2007, 12:19:21 AM »
    HEY guys...im still i the learnin phase...
    So can someone answer my stupid question

What is a BSD?

contrex

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2007, 12:44:15 AM »
    Please give some context

A BSOD is a Blue Screen Of Death (MS Windows warning screen seen at system halt due to severe error)

BSD Linux is a variety of Linux

ghostdog74

Specialist

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2007, 08:30:26 AM »
      What is a BSD?
      Since you are into linux/unix, BSD means Berkeley software distribution.

Quote from: contrex
      BSD Linux is a variety of Linux
      actually, its a derivative of Unix.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #41 on: June 25, 2007, 07:32:52 AM »
      actually, its a derivative of Unix.
      You sure about that? I thought it just had the same command line style. I think it has it's own kernel and everything.

ghostdog74

Specialist

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2007, 07:45:53 AM »
        You sure about that?
        how about some history. I am not much of a historian, but here's some random article to read

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #43 on: June 25, 2007, 02:40:56 PM »
        You sure about that?
        how about some history. I am not much of a historian, but here's some random article to read

Ok. You were right. I guess I should have read more into it. Thanks for the link.

naren_arsenal

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2007, 12:19:19 AM »
        Ok,,,
        So wats the inthing now....
        BSD or Linux ???
        « Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 05:38:24 AM by naren_arsenal »

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #45 on: June 26, 2007, 08:11:52 AM »
        The in thing?
        The "in" thing is a computer with an operating system. You'll find very quickly that there isn't a linux/unix distro that is "in". Everyone has there favorite and everyone has different tastes.
        However, if you're wanting to be a master of linux/unix, you'll become familiar with most of them. Don't take too big of a bite too early though, stick with one distro for now. If your first download was red hat, use it until you know it.