Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: font management  (Read 2293 times)

Badgerfan

font management
« on: June 07, 2007, 05:33:29 PM »
I have read that you can divide your fonts into more than 1 file/folder. Read elsewhere not a good idea.  I would like to keep track of 3 sets of fonts- the original with the system, downloaded fonts, downloaded dingbats.  I would like to use all of them just like the originals- access the list from whatever program I'm in. My thoughts are I may not want to keep forever all fonts I download, and for ease of use  I would like to keep my dingbats separate.

Is it possible to keep added fonts on a thumb drive and access them that way?  Have considered keeping other parts of digital kits on a thumb drive as well. Like that I could use them on either of my computers without downloading a lot of material on to both computers.

I am open to any suggestions for font storage/access.

Thanks

-B-

The Saviour

Re: font management
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 08:00:11 PM »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 08:56:53 PM »
Please let us know if the tool The Saviour mentioned will do what you want.  I looked at the website but I'm not clear on whether it will do that.  What, exactly, do they mean by "Installation of fonts from a folder (one by one or from a list)."  I'm still thinking you must install fonts in the standard Windows folder for fonts in order to make the fonts available in your applications.  However, the site does say Font Viewer can organize fonts in categories.  That should be helpful, even if you do need to install all fonts in the standard Windows folder for fonts.

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 09:02:16 PM »
It is not recommended to have more than 400 fonts in the Windows Fonts folder due to performance reasons.

I've never tried this software...I'm not a big font user.  However, follow soybean's recommendation and review this software to see if it will perform the tasks you need.

Badgerfan

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 06:27:46 PM »
I looked at the site. I'm not sure exactly what all it can do, but I think it is worth downloading and trying it out.  Even though the descriptions aren't clear to me, I think it would at least help me get a better grip on my fonts. 

Thanks for the suggestion- I appreciate the help.

-B-

The Saviour

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 07:04:20 PM »
You're welcome, Badgerfan.