Software > Computer programming

problems staring windows after format

(1/4) > >>

mari2:
Hello Everyone,
I'm havin a ton orf problems getting windows 98 to start after doing a format.

Starting from the beginning:
1. I have my windows 98 cd and boot floppy(startup disk).
2. Restart in MS-DOS mode.
3.Do a" clean sweep".Turn my computer off put the starup disk in and restart.
4.Put the windows 98 cd in and select start computer with cd rom support.
5. AT the prompt A:\> ..... Type c
6 .Type mkdirwin 98 then press enter.
7.Type cd win 98 press enter .
8.Type e press enter.
9.Type cd win 98 and press enter.
10.Type c: and press enter.
11.Type setup and press enter. Windows starts loading.Installs and restarts .
After rebooting it continues setting up hardware and finalizing settings.Has a message if computer stops responding turn it off and then on again.
Screen goes blank ... Please wait while setup updates your configuration files.
This may take a few minutes..................
Completed updating files contiuing to load windows
Screen goes blank again and has a small flashing_ at the top of the left of my screen .
I've done this around 3 times.Restarting over another clean another installation still the same results.
I talked to someone in the chat before and after i posted this question .Someone told me I probably had some files feft from the first reformat, which I didnt think was possible.I've also looked for some other solution ,but I havent found one.
Also:
Boot your system from the Win 98 boot disk. If you do not have a Win98 boot disk, I suggest making one on another computer running Win98 or download one from http://www.bootdisk.com/ I should mention that the file you download is not a bootdisk, double click the file and you will be prompted to create one.

Select Start with command prompt only.
At the A:\> prompt type in fdisk and press enter
A:\> fdisk (press enter)
If you get a message about enabling large disk support, type Y to accept the default of yes.
You are now in the Fixed Disk Setup Program
Type 4 and press enter. this shows a list of current partitions. (You may have none)
if you see a note asking if you want to see the logical drive info, press enter to accept the default Y next to the command.
Review the list noting which partitions exist.
Press Esc to return to the main menu

Now delete each partition one by one leaving the primary dos partition for last.
Type 3 and press enter a deletion menu appears.
Delete each partition and type 3 and press enter after each to go on to the next.
Lastly delete the primary partition. Type 1 and press enter type the partition number and press enter. Type the volume label (leave it blank if no label is listed) and press enter. Type Y to confirm.
Press Esc to continue

Now you Create a New partition.
At the main menu type 1 (Create dos partition or logical dos drive) and press enter.
The Create menu appears
Type 1 (Create primary dos partition) and press enter. Wait while drive integrity is verified.
If asked whether to use the maximum size for the primary partition, press enter to accept the default of yes.
You receive a message that you must restart.
Press Esc to exit fdisk the use ctrl+alt+delete to restart, leaving the boot disk in place.

This time around, Start with CD rom support (If you have a CD Drive)
When you receive the A:\> prompt type in format c: and press enter
A:\> format c: (press enter)
When format is complete, try the following.
A:\> D: (press enter)
D:\> dir (press enter) this should list the file contents of the virtual drive that your boot disk created.
D:\> E: (press enter)
E:\> setup (press enter) This starts setup of Win 98

Also : Choose start with command prompt only.
At the prompt type in sys c: and press enter.
This will generate a message that in forms you 'system files has been successfully transferred".
Use ctl+alt+del Windows should restart normally.
Then: If system fails to start up try this next step.
Before windows starts ,press f 8 .
Select start with step-by-step confirmation .
First time answer yes to all questions ,if windows hangs use alt+deland answer no at the suspect question.
Ive also tried deleting the Wnbootng.sts file with no results. any help would greatly be appreciated...

Dusty:
Whew!!  Your post took a lot of reading.

Assuming you have run FDISK successfully here's what I would do:-

1. Download to a hard disk (I assume you have access to a second on-line pc) a Win.98se bootdisk from Bootdisk.com.  The version I use is "Windows 98se Custom No Ramdrive".  Have a blank floppy disk available.  Click on the downloaded file (which should have the download name of "Boot98sc") and this will create a bootable floppy. (Note: the dowloaded file name is Boot98sc not Boot98se)

2.  When the bootable floppy is available boot from it on the pc you are trying to install on.  When you get the A:\ prompt enter FORMAT C: and that will format the hard disk yet again.  When you booted from this disk it will have loaded a cd driver named "BANANA" with the letter R:    

3.  When the Format is complete you have a clean hard-disk and a cd which can be accessed and you should be back at the command prompt A:\   Put your Win.98 cd into the cdrom and enter R:\SETUP (then hit Enter) and Windows should start the installation process.

You will probably need another blank formatted floppy if the install process wants to create a start-up disk

There is another discussion on much the same subject at:-

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=2;action=display;num=1098508590

Good luck

Raptor:
If these occured after formatting, you should format again and properly install Windows 98. Something may have gone wrong.

mari2:
Hey everybody,
is there an emoticon for pullin my hair out....... sheesh.
All I can get it to do is start in safe mode.and safe mode doesnt work.

Dusty:
Did you re-format/re-install Win.98 using info from my last post?   Did it work and did you get any unexplained messages during install??  Are you getting any messages at all??  Does your pc boot into Safe mode without you hitting any keys??  

Information we thrive on - the more info the better & to hades with emoticons - gonna have a few beers waiting for your response.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version