Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer slow only at home, only certain times  (Read 5367 times)

jimmy68

computer slow only at home, only certain times
« on: June 11, 2007, 07:09:42 PM »
Hi,
I have a dell laptop that I brought to college with me and currently am using it at home for the summer.  At home we have another laptop and a desktop connected  to cable internet through a Netgear wireless router.  Now that I am home, about half the times I am on my computer, everything runs extremely slow and when I hit ctrl alt del it says the cpu usage is at 100% (when it is running normally its usually around 2-5%).  When this happens, not only do internet programs run slowly, everything on my computer does.  I never had this problem at college and the internet was very slow there.  Also the internet frequently just stops working here and we have to unplug the router and plug it back in again to get it back.  Is this a problem with my internet service or my router, or something else?
Thanks

Beta Quadrant

Re: computer slow only at home, only certain times
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 07:20:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's the router. You have two other computers hooked up to the same router so it may cause a little lag.

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
    « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 03:00:22 AM »
    I don't beleve that it is your internet connection.
    Because then it wouldn't effect the CPU usage.
    But can you give us some more info like:
    What OS are you using, Did you made any changes before it started happening, Does all the computers on your network have the problem,...

Jonas ;)

Sid

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 11:30:40 AM »
      I'm pretty sure it's the router. You have two other computers hooked up to the same router so it may cause a little lag.

How would a router effect CPU usage?!

Better advice: Check for infections.

Spy-ware, viruses, Trojans, the like.  If the CPU usage is at 100% when you're doing nothing, that indicates something is happening, regardless of whether or not you're doing it, or you can see it.

Look for help with virus problems.  Should help.  Also, try getting rid of any applications from the system tray (lower right) that you don't use...like MSN Msgr.

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
        « Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 01:01:37 PM »
        I agree the chance of an infection is big. here is a list of programs you should try:
        - AVG anti-virus
        - AVG anti-spyware
        - Ccleaner
        - Superantispyware
        All these programs are free!
        I suggest to run Ccleaner first this will remove the most.
        Then just let the rest run and let us know

Jonas ;)
        « Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 01:17:25 PM by Jonas Wauters »

Beta Quadrant

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 01:39:15 PM »

How would a router effect CPU usage?!

Better advice: Check for infections.

Spy-ware, viruses, Trojans, the like.  If the CPU usage is at 100% when you're doing nothing, that indicates something is happening, regardless of whether or not you're doing it, or you can see it.

Look for help with virus problems.  Should help.  Also, try getting rid of any applications from the system tray (lower right) that you don't use...like MSN Msgr.

That I thought it said it was 0% lol My bad