Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linksys router question  (Read 3852 times)

redbuck

Linksys router question
« on: June 12, 2007, 07:19:53 PM »
I have my router set up to my main computer and am trying to add a laptop to it. The laptop has no IP address b/c its hard drive is brand new, and my understanding was that through the router I could get this new laptop to connect to the internet via the other computer. I have tried and tried to set up the laptop but cannot get it to work? How do I go about setting up the laptop to work with the router? (Or do I have this all screwed up?)

yanng1

Beginner

Re: Linksys router question
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 08:07:23 AM »
    I am going to assume you use windows XP.  If you do This should be pretty easy.

2 questions:

1- does the hardware all work properly?  this is a moot exercise if the ethernet card, wireless cared or router are broken.

2- what are your network settings?
      to resolve the latter let's check out your control pannel:
       START--->  CONTROL PANEL
                           L--->  NETWORK CONNECTIONS
                                              L----> LAN (rigt click + properties)

In the window that opens, choose "TCP IP " from the list of availabilities.
    click "properties once it is chosen".

Here are the options for aquiring your cmpt an IP address.  be sure that windows is being told to collect a DNS address as well as IP address automatically.  this should provide your Cmpt w/ the necesssary IP address.