Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Epson scanner, Vista problem  (Read 2489 times)

ghsgrad

Epson scanner, Vista problem
« on: June 17, 2007, 11:27:55 AM »
I desperately need advice on how to get my Epson Perfection 1640SU scanner to work on my HP Media Center m7760 PC, Vista Ultimate OS, 32 bit, 2038MB RAM.  I used same scanner with previous Compaq, XP, no problems.  I downloaded the driver for Vista from the Epson site. When I click on Windows Fax & Scan, then Select Device, the choose Scanner, I have two choices: Epson Perfection or Xerox Work Center (don’t know where Xerox came from). Clicking on Test Scanner for Perfection gives message: Successfully Completed. However, I cannot get the scanner to scan. Epson tech says it will open in Paint, but it doesn’t. Thanks for any direction you can give to me.

Joe_Flanagan

Re: Epson scanner, Vista problem
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 10:12:40 PM »
It looks like Epson has not written any new software for your scanner to work under Vista.
They have written a TWAIN driver however, which is a very basic driver that needs an image handling utilty (like Paint) to operate.
That's probably why Epson told you to go through Paint.
Your normal scanning procedure that you are accustomed to under XP (Smart Panel perhaps) likely won't work until they tweak it for Vista.

If the Vista32 TWAIN driver is properly installed, you will see your scanner's icon in Control Panel.
You will also find it in Device Manager.
The TWAIN driver download is on this page:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14584&prodoid=32722&infoType=Downloads&platform=All
Post back if the scanner won't install and someone will help you.

A free image handler that is useful in these situations is Irfanview :
http://www.irfanview.com/

Have no idea were that Xerox file came from.

ghsgrad

Re: Epson scanner, Vista problem
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 10:58:49 PM »
I have downloaded the TWAIN driver from Epson, I have the scanner icon in the device manager. I've gone to Paint but still can't get the scanner to scan.