Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copying 'MusicMatch' files from PC to laptop  (Read 4037 times)

catchlou

Copying 'MusicMatch' files from PC to laptop
« on: June 11, 2007, 07:04:19 PM »
I'm running Windows XP and Internet Explorer browser. My question is I have a programme called MusicMatch which stores & plays all our CDs etc. I would like to copy this programme/files from the PC to our laptop, rather than have to copy all the CD's again. I have gotten as far as using the Ethernet network cable to connect the two but not sure what to do next - can someone help? I have also installed the same version of MusicMatch onto the laptop.  As you can see I have 'basic' computer knowledge only - so any replies please try to keep the technical jargon to a limit! :)

Beta Quadrant

Re: Copying 'MusicMatch' files from PC to laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 07:18:20 PM »
Hmmm I had a similar problem all I did is I used an external HD copied the stuff  on then hooked it up to the other computer.. That probably didn't help you though. You should be able to stream it over to your laptop though..

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 08:15:59 AM »
    You have to create the same user on the laptop and pc, with the same password (NOT a blank password, it won't work). If it is the Administrator account then you have to use the same password.
    After that, disable the "Use simple file sharing": open a folder, then go to the menu Tools->Folder options->View and uncheck the last record, the "Use simple file sharing" (I assume you have Windows XP on both computers).
    Next, see in which folder you saved the melodies. Right click on it, Share.
    If you created a new user, you have to add the user in the tab Security, and the user need Read rights.
    After that... You have to see what IPs your computers are using: start->run->cmd
    and in the command prompt window type:
    ipconfig /all
    The same from the other computer
    They should have some similar IP's, only the last number differing.
    From the laptop:
    start->run->//the_IP_of_the_desktop
    and you should be able to find your share. More, you should be able to copy your files from PC.

PS. If you give to administrator account a password (highly recomended), don't forget it (highly unrecomended). I repeat, DO NOT FORGET THAT PASSWORD.

catchlou

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 07:40:15 PM »
    Thanks Viking, I will give this a go and let you know what happens!

Cheers. :)

catchlou

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 09:25:01 PM »
    Hi, me again, 2 questions:

Yes my PC is WIndows XP, but there is no 'use simple file sharing' option available under Tools, Folder Options, View.. what do I do there?

Secondly, what does an IP look like? Is it the IP address (which is a series of 4 numbers)?

Thanks