Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help  (Read 4015 times)

Zeborg

Help
« on: June 14, 2007, 11:12:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

Someone I know has a problem connecting to her internet.  I am not good with computers, so if anyone could give me advice that would be great. 

Her internet doesn't work; any attempt at internet immediately results in a "can't find page."  Her roommate's internet DOES work, and both of them are connected to the same hub.  They are both using the university's internet. 

The ethernet cable is not the problem either.  She is currently using a Toshiba laptop.

Are there any tests that she can use to identify the source of the problem?  Does anyone have any other suggestions or  help?

Thank you very much!

The Saviour

Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:08:02 AM »
Can you give us a little more info?

Has it always been this way?  Was she connected before?  Has there been any recent hardware or software changes prior to this happening?

What operating system is she using on her Toshiba laptop?

mellow

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 12:30:47 AM »
     I have a small home network,2 PC's.Before doing anything,check out the friend's computer that is receiving the internet.See if they are using Window's firewall.If they are, see how it's configured. My client PC,wasn't getting any Internet signal,but my host PC was.I had to disable Windows firewall to get a connection.I then downloaded a free firewall(in my case Comodo),and it worked.

note: each time you run The Network Connection Wizard,Windows Firewall will automatically turn back on.You will have to disable it again.
      Hope this helps.I'm a bit green at this too,that's why I joined this forum today.
      Good luck,mellow.

Zeborg

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 12:33:07 AM »
    It hasn't always been this way.  She recently switched dormitories, however, and her internet had always worked fine previously.

I believe she is using Microsoft XP, and we think it is a hardware problem, although it is difficult for us to know for sure.  I don't think she has had any hardware/software changes.

It's really worrying her, so any help would be much appreciated :].

Thank you!

PS I will tell her to look at her firewall.  Thanks!

The Saviour

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 12:39:03 AM »
    Have her clear her browser cache and make sure she has "Never Dial A Connection" checked under the Connection tab in Internet Options.

Zeborg

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 08:38:42 AM »
    Hmm, thanks for the tip.