Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help transfering emails from outlook to gmail  (Read 3042 times)

tetanya

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

help transfering emails from outlook to gmail
    « on: June 26, 2007, 03:01:24 PM »
    Hi, when I searched the forums for posts on Microsoft outlook I found posts in the windows and the computer software areas, a majority of the posts appeared here so I thought I'd try posting here.

Okay, here's my situation: I currently have an email account with Adelphia and I use Microsoft Outlook 2003 to access that it account.  I setup Outlook so that when I receive the emails from the Adelphia account Outlook removes them and transfers them to Outlook (meaning a copy of the emails don't remain in my Adelphia inbox).  I've decided that I want to stop using Outlook, mainly due to the fact that it makes it difficult to access my emails from computers not on my network account.  I've decided to switch to a gmail account (for other reasons involving irritation with Adelphia).

My problem is that I can't figure out how to get my emails from Outlook 2003 to my new gmail account.  I've looked in the questions and answers section, the forum, and both faq on gmail and outlook official pages and still can't figure it out.  I think I've figured out a way to redirect new incoming mail, but that's not my concern what I need is to redirect my old emails.  I know that I could just forward all of my old emails to my new gmail account, but that will be a huge hassle and the emails would then show up as being sent from me and not the original sender.  If I can't figure out another solution I'll do this, but I'm hoping there's a way to reverse (?) the Outlook process and send the emails either to gmail or back to Adelphia.

I found a way to create a rule that will redirect (rather than forward) emails (which is exactly what I want) but it turns out that you need something called 'exchange' or something like that... I think it's used by businesses.  Since this is a personal computer and not associated with any business, I don't have that.  There may be a way of working around that but since I've never actually used or created any rules in Outlook, I'm basically clueless as to how I'd do that.

At first I thought I could use the import/export option with Outlook, I know how to use that.  I can locate the .pst file for my email account, I just don't know what to do with it afterwards.

I'm also having a little difficulty with my internet connection (I'm using a family members computer right now, but the problem should be fixed relatively soon) so it may take me a little while to respond to any help.  But let me assure you that any help would be appreciated.

Here's information on my system:
    -computer = Dell Dimension 4500
    -operating system = Windows XP Pro (it's legitimate) with service pack 2
    -graphic card = NVIDIA GeForce 6200LE (DDR 2, 256MB, AGP 8x)
    -under the control panel I pressed "system" and this is what it said under computer:
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
    1.99 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
    -Norton 360 (security system)
    -Internet Explorer 7
    -Microsoft Office 2003 (legitimate... includes Outlook 2003)

Tetanya

again, thank you for any help possible.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: help transfering emails from outlook to gmail
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 03:13:18 PM »
    I'm not absolutely sure but I doubt very much this can be done.  Think about it.  With Outlook, your mail is on your hard drive, not out on the Internet.  With Gmail, it is out on the Internet; it's web-based mail. 

I looked at the info on Gmail on Google's site and, like you, found nothing about transferring mail from Outlook.  So, I no other option but to forward the mail to yourself if you really must get it all moved over to Gmail.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: help transfering emails from outlook to gmail
    « Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 03:44:32 PM »
    I agree. Sending it all to your new account is probably the only option...

But is there a reason you need it there ? ?

You can just export your contact list if that's what's needed...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

tetanya

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

thank you
      « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 01:25:25 PM »
      I thought that might be the case.  However, thank you both for your time and effort.

tetanya