Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: word doc attacment question  (Read 6467 times)

stephkyle7

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    word doc attacment question
    « on: April 25, 2013, 10:15:02 AM »
    Hi guys, sorry to trouble the forum with such a novice question, but Im a little older and unfortunately got behind the wave and left behind(lol).
    Im trying to send an attachment  which contains my resume.Ive sent it to a dupe address so I can ensure  what the prospective employer will see.When I open the attachment all the corrections that Word suggested still show up. The format of the resume has a lot of "bullet" type points and word Identifies them as Fragments.I have gone through the document a half dozen times "telling" word to ignore the "error" and saving the newly minted "clean" document under a new save name,but without fail when I slect my "new"(and corrected) as the attachement and mail it to my "dupe" address ,all the auto correct suggestions re-appear.
    Is this becasue that although Im in an e-mail account my computer Identifies the doc as something that originated from the same source?
    My fear is that if I send it with all the red aquggles all over it that the HR people will just laugh and feel like If I cant accomplish something as simple as proofung a document then maybe Im not the rif=ght guy for the job. Im sure Im doing something very obvious in the wrong way....

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: word doc attacment question
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:21:15 AM »
    Try and give the corrected doc a different name...send it to yourself again and review...
    Word may be opening it from the MRU list (most recently used) list by default...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 10:32:10 AM »
    I'm not sure if this exactly answers your question, but you do realise that if you open a document in Word it will be displayed according to the spelling and grammar checking settings in force in that particular Word (on your computer)? If you have Word set to show spelling mistakes with a red squiggle underneath, that's what you'll see. What I am trying to say is that the red squiggles are not "in" the document, they are added by Word because of your settings.

stephkyle7

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »
      Thank you both very much....I had suspicions of both answers but am too much a novice to be sure...I was concrened about how the document will appear to the person opening it...It is my hope that at the "other end" there will be no such "reciept" filter that will show the same "concerns" most of the things Word wants me to correct are sentence fragments which are unaviodable in the format my resume is written

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »
      It seems you can do this: Tools / Options / Spelling & Grammar... check "Hide spelling errors in this document" and "Hide grammatical errors in this document" (Then click OK). If you check these boxes, only the present document is affected, and spelling errors will be hidden on any machine on which it is opened, regardless of the Spelling & Grammar Options settings.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:57:58 PM »
      If you have Word set to show spelling mistakes with a red squiggle underneath, that's what you'll see.  What I am trying to say is that the red squiggles are not "in" the document, they are added by Word because of your settings.
      Yes, but once he's told Word to Ignore, or Ignore All, for a particular mistake, and saved that file, those mistakes should not appear again when that file is reopened.  And, he did say:
      I have gone through the document a half dozen times "telling" word to ignore the "error" ...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:48:25 AM »
      It seems you can do this: Tools / Options / Spelling & Grammar... check "Hide spelling errors in this document" and "Hide grammatical errors in this document" (Then click OK). If you check these boxes, only the present document is affected, and spelling errors will be hidden on any machine on which it is opened, regardless of the Spelling & Grammar Options settings.

I just tried this out... I opened MS Word 2003 on my main PC and created a document with some spelling and grammar errors. These were highlighted by Word in red and green respectively. Then I went to Tools, Options, Spelling & Grammar and checked "Hide Spelling Errors in this document" and "Hide grammatical errors in this document". Then I saved the document on a network drive and went to another PC and opened the same document. The errors were not marked. However, in the second Word session, I could uncheck those boxes, and the markings were again visible.

I then went back to the first PC and emailed the document as an attachment to a colleague and got her to open it in Word and it was the same. Errors hidden, but easily revealed.

My take on this: better to avoid making errors in the first place, than worry about hiding them, because a sufficiently determined recipient is going to notice them whatever you do. (There are some people in this world who can spot spelling mistakes without the help of a computer program.)

Also: beware saving the document with all the editing history! I bet this has lost more job chances than any other mistake!

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 11:15:50 AM »
      The format of the resume has a lot of "bullet" type points and word Identifies them as Fragments.
      That doesn't make sense to me.  Word doesn't care about punctuation if you use the Bullets tool to create bullets.  Did you use Word's Bullets tool or did you just use your own technique to make bullets? 

I'm also wondering whether you used a resume/CV template for your resume.  Not using one of the templates and just trying to create a resume from a regular blank Word document is the hard way to create a resume.

stephkyle7

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »
        yes, I failed to "tell" word I was using Bullets.
        When I had in the past utilized there formatting, they put the little "dots" infront of the bullets.
        As I have revised the document over the years I chose to eliminate their "dot" format.Additionally, there are several proper names for institutions and places that are not in the word thesaurus, so while I completely undrstand the idea that it would make sense to just comply with whatever "word" wants,in some cases it isnt really possible to make "word" happy(lol).

Im not thinking that the HR department would be interested in parsing the document for errors regarding dangling partciples and the like, but if it opens with all the color,it might appear so flawed as to cause a sincere concern to the viewer. I will try the "hide" errors approach...The nature of the errors isnt spelling,that I did ensure, but trying to comply with what "word" wants me to do, is further compounded by the fact that even when I accept their corrections,and save the document under a new name ,when I open it as an attachment sent to my dupe email account Word still identifies the same fragments and such as errors.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:57:17 PM »
        So, do you actually have a visible bullet?  Were you trying to avoid using one of Word's bullet images to save space, or what? By the way, Word provides many alternative images for bullets. You can even create one and use it.

Again:
        I'm also wondering whether you used a resume/CV template for your resume.  Not using one of the templates and just trying to create a resume from a regular blank Word document is the hard way to create a resume.