Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NTLDR missing error  (Read 2934 times)

deathpanda

NTLDR missing error
« on: July 02, 2007, 03:06:41 PM »
Using PQboot32 I believe I accidently asked it to boot from a drive that wasn't there. Now upon restart it says:

Loading PBR for descriptor 3.....done

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I was wondering if there was anyway to cancel the command, as the computer insists on trying to boot from that location everytime now. I had made a floppy boot disk, but an error comes up when trying to use it.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: NTLDR missing error
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 03:32:52 PM »
What floppy  boot disk did you make ?
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

deathpanda

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 11:58:17 PM »
A boot disk for XP through the option under the A drive right click menu. It's available when you choose to format. I wasn't sure if having a boot disk would help me reverse the effects or not, I don't know that a set was ever made for the PC, as in when XP asks you to create a set of backup disks.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:44:10 AM »
You can make a floppy bootdisk with this-->Here
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

deathpanda

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 03:18:46 PM »
I used that to make a boot disk, but got errors on every selection. I had an idea though. Since PQboot32 is trying to boot my computer from an empty drive slot, could I not theoretically move the main HDD to that slot and then if I wanted a normal configuration, tell PQboot32 to boot from the normal spot and swith it back? I think that might be the easiest answer, unless there is any reason I shouldn't move the hard drive around.

deathpanda

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 05:43:21 AM »
It seems the something did happen to the NTLDR file, as it doesn't boot no matter the slot it's hooked up to. I booted another hard drive through the computer, and connected the problem hard drive through a USB adapter, but it comes up as "Backup" in My computer and contains a folder called Norton Restore. It is labeled as an 18.5 GB hard drive, when the whole thing should be around 50. I'm not sure what happened there, but I was hoping to be able to fix the problem by going into the hard drive, but that's not possible since the only visible partition is the "backup" one.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 08:47:52 AM »
    Might try booting to your genuine XP cd then choosing the "Repair Windows" option.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!