Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Local Disk appearing as unknown (LINK TO PICTURE INSIDE)  (Read 11224 times)

Gnomestone

Re: Local Disk appearing as unknown (LINK TO PICTURE INSIDE)
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 08:54:25 PM »
Thanks for the post contrex, i got one question i found the shell32.dll file, but I can't open it since it is .dll, which means i can't figure out which icon my local drive is, 0, 1, 2, 3, etc., i can't find which one since the file can't be opened, should i just write in 8 without knowing which one? Thanks!

contrex

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2007, 01:43:11 AM »
Well, the standard icon for a hard drive is shell32.dll icon number 8 on my system (Windows XP Pro), and I checked it by using that information in the Drive Icon Changer program, and got the result that you saw in the screen shot that I posted.

Short description of how to find out an icon's number:-

Right-click any shortcut and choose Properties. Click the Change Icon button. Type the path (eg C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll) to the file that contains the icon you want, or use the Browse button to select it from its folder location. When you see the icons displayed in the Change Icon dialog box, count--starting from zero (the number of the first icon in any file)--from top to bottom, left to right. When you get the right number, click Cancel twice

Description with pictures...

1. Create a shortcut (eg on your desktop). It can be to any location or program. Right click and choose "Properties".

2. Click the Change Icon button. Then click the Browse button in the Change icon dialog and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll

3. In this picture icon no. 8 is highlighted, counting from 0 at the top left, going down in columns. The top row of icons are numbers 0, 4, 8,12,16 and so on.

4. When you are satisfied you can cancel your way back out of everything and delete the shortcut, or you can practice assigning various icons to your temporary test shortcut. You could also try assigning different icon numbers to your local hard drive with the Drive Icon Changer program, to satisfy yourself (a) that it is possible, (b) that the numbers are as I said.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 04:15:35 AM by contrex »

Gnomestone

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007, 08:16:04 AM »
It seems that there is no change icon tab on My Documents  > Properties. I took a screenshot.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/532/nochangeiconib3.jpg

contrex

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007, 09:46:45 AM »
It seems that there is no change icon tab on My Documents  > Properties. I took a screenshot.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/532/nochangeiconib3.jpg

???

Please read my post once again.

I wrote,

1. Create a shortcut (eg on your desktop). It can be to any location or program. Right click and choose "Properties".

I happened to create a shortcut to "My Documents". The regular shortcut to "My Documents" system folder already on your desktop or in My Computer is no good. Anyway, you probably wouldn't want to change its icon.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 10:05:48 AM by contrex »

Gnomestone

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2007, 04:40:37 PM »
Awesome it worked, didn't think it would at first. Thanks a bunch for everything contrex. I really appreciate that you continued to help through 3 pages of questions.

contrex

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 11:50:50 PM »
Gonomestone, you were right to be cautious! I'm glad it worked.

blackpaw

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2007, 08:07:09 AM »
oh what u gotta do is Install Tuneup Utilities 2006 then go to optimize and improve and click on registry defrag then go through all that mumbo jumbo and ur done hope this helps it sure helped me

blackpaw

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2007, 08:13:56 AM »
if that doesnt work try system optimizer (also on TuneUp utilities

contrex

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2007, 09:35:15 AM »
INeedhelp, didn't you read, his problem is solved already.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2007, 09:40:01 AM »
if that doesnt work try system optimizer (also on TuneUp utilities

This is the second thread you have hijacked with advice on a specific program.

Not a good way to get started here.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "