Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network Puzzle  (Read 3824 times)

magic_plank

Network Puzzle
« on: June 30, 2007, 06:06:43 PM »
I have 3 PCs,

1 PC downstairs connected to all in one router/ADSL modem and gives out a wireless internet signal. It runs XP and is a 1.2ghz machine

I have 1 PC (800mhz) upstairs that uses a wireless USB adapter to connect to the internet, also running XP, and has one unused onboard network adapter.

I have another PC upstairs that will run *censored* Small Linux (eventually) and currently is not on the internet, and has one network adapter

In my box of bits I have 1 Cat5 ethernet cable.

Is it possible to connect the two PCs upstairs using the cable, so that the linux PC can access the internet through the XP PC using the wireless adapter?

Thanks

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Network Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 12:02:49 AM »
Yes this is possible. You can either use ICS (Inernet Connection Sharing) or simple bridge the connections.
Back In The Game

magic_plank

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 04:06:53 PM »
Doesn't ICS require both machines to be running 98SE or later?

How would I bridge the connections?

magic_plank

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 04:34:41 PM »
I've had a think, so let me rephrase my question.

The old PC at 450mhz p3, with 64mb ram could theoretically have windows 98 on it (When I find my disc, it's around somewhere) Or even XP if I didn't plan to actually use it as anything other than a firewall/server.

This PC could have the wireless USB adapter, and be permanently powered on. It has the USB port and an unused ethernet port. How could I configure the other PC to receive internet from the old PC's ethernet which the old PC has in turn recieved from the wireless USB adapter.

I ask because unlike working with wired networks and PCI adapters, USB Wireless adapters are rarely 'Plug it in and it'll work"

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 11:14:41 AM »
To bridge the connections, simply connect the one machine to the wireless network via the wireless network card.  Then, connect the other machine through the ethernet port (does that make sense?.

Then, open up the Network Connections (Start>Control Panel>Network Connections).  You should see both connections (the wireless and the wired).  Highlight them both, right click, and select the "Bridge Connections" option.  This should work.  If not, come back and we'll see if we can get it working.
Back In The Game