Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive failing: transfer all files from old drive to new  (Read 12448 times)

map

my c: was failing so i replaced it. i have my new drive up and running and i have my old drive set as slave f: until i can get the files off. i was hoping to use xcopy to just mirror the old drive onto the new drive.well, either my expectations were way to high or i'm an idiot because i can't seem to make it work. my real problem now is to get my old outlook express files from the old drive to the new. is there any way to copy my existing outlook express data from the old drive to the new?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: hard drive failing: transfer all files from old drive to new
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 10:11:43 AM »
The below program has a 15 full function trial.

http://www.drive-image.com/?GGLAW900
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 10:21:12 AM »
And you should disconnect that drive until you are completely ready to create a backup of it...every time you are powering it up it is getting closer to complete failure.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 10:22:01 AM »
And you should disconnect that drive until you are completely ready to create a backup pf it...every time you are powering it up it is getting closer to complete failure.

Very good point patio.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

map

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 11:01:39 AM »
thanks. i understand about the life expectancy of the old drive.  am i wrong in just wanting to mirror my old drive to the new one? i'm really short on time to deal with this. i mean i know i have a clean windows install, but right now i just need to get back to where i was.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 11:06:32 AM »
No you can save the image file to any drive/directory that has enough space...no reason to FUBAR a clean XP install.
Then you can burn it to CD/DVD and retrieve whatever data you need.

Thanx Street1 !

map

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 11:18:45 AM »
hate to be an idiot. i understand. i am starting to panic about getting my outlook express files transferred. for right now what would be the best easiest way to deal with outlook express?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 12:27:02 PM »
You're not being an idiot. We all come here to learn.

Click Here...

map

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 12:34:47 PM »
i don't seem to be able to find the outlook express files on the old drive, to be able to import them

contrex

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 12:42:29 PM »
In Windows 2000 and XP, emails are usually stored somewhere in the user data or application data folder.

if you are running Windows off the old drive, the easiest way to locate Outlook Express' email store is to ask Outlook Express. Fire it up, and then in Tools, Options, on the Maintenance tab there's a button labeled Store Folder. Click that and it will tell you the folder containing your email folder. Fo each email folder in OE there will be a folder under this, with .dbx files which are your emails.

The address book we handle a little differently. Open up the address book either from the accessories menu item on your Start menu, or by pressing Ctrl+Shift+B in Outlook Express. In the address book, select File, Export, and click on Address Book (WAB).... You can now select a location and filename for your address book to be placed. Again, you can copy it to floppy, CD-ROM, or to a share on your network.

See here for picture guide which may be helpful in visualizing how to find the folder

http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tips/internet/creating_backup_email_messages_outlook_express.php3

Or here for a guide

http://www.askwebhosting.com/article/100/Save_your_Outlook_Express_email_and_address_book_to_an_archived_file_every_once_in_a_while.html

map

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 01:03:59 PM »
i'm currently running off the new drive. my hope was to just transfer all the outlook express folder from the old drive to the new one. right now i can't even set up my outlook express account on the new drive because i can't find the info for the pop 3 stuff. i am starting to panic. contrex, it looks after reading your two links like i have to boot from my old drive and run outlook express to do this.

contrex

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 01:11:41 PM »
don't panic! Panic leads to ill thought out action, which can make things worse.

Regarding the old disk... what was the operating system? Was it Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista or what?

When we know that, we can tell where the files will be.

Just out of interest, how do you know it was failing?

map

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 01:14:11 PM »
i was running xp home. i started getting boot up errors that i could only recover from using chkdsk thru the repair console. if you have the time i will stay right here.

contrex

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 01:22:13 PM »
OK relax. On the XP Home installation, were there a number of user accounts, or just the one?

Is the drive mounted and connected at this time?

map

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 01:23:48 PM »
there was one account. the drive is currently running as my f: drive

contrex

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 01:39:18 PM »
Open Windows Explorer, so it shows the folder "F:\Documents and Settings", and right click that folder. Select "Search", and type *.dbx into the "Search for files And Folders" box. Check the "Advanced Options" box, check "Search System Folders, "Search Hidden Files And Folders" and "Search subfolders". Click "Search Now".

You are looking for .dbx files which are in folders which will have names like this

{9EFEBDEA-CE00-4DD7-A4D6-CDB85C3EEDBF}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

The numbers and letters will be different.

Do that now.

map

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 01:41:55 PM »
doing it now

map

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 01:46:10 PM »
got them. ;D now what?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 01:56:22 PM by map »

contrex

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 01:56:29 PM »
Now do the same for .wab files and you've got the address book(s)

map

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 02:01:49 PM »
okay, got it . now what do i do?

contrex

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 02:05:02 PM »
Make a folder on your good disk, and

for each folder that you found containing .dbx or .wab files, copy each folder so it is under the folder on your good disk.

Next step will be importing them into your new Outlook Express.

See here for tips and ask here too...

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_move_my_outlook_express_folders_to_my_new_machine.html

map

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 02:10:34 PM »
can i move them from the search result window? or do i have to go to the folders thru explorer?

contrex

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 02:16:28 PM »
In search, you can click files copy them, but to get their folders you'll have to use Explorer.

map

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 02:20:18 PM »
i have a problem. i can find the address book under explorer, but i can't find the dbx folders under explorer. from the search it tells me the folders are in documents etc./mike/application data/identities {name}/microsoft/outlook express, but i can't find that folder. forget what i said. i have successfully moved everything. i can't thank you enough. do you mind if i ask you a couple of more questions?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 02:50:41 PM by map »

contrex

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 03:20:13 PM »
do you mind if i ask you a couple of more questions?

Sure. Go ahead. I won't be able to reply until around 6 PM Monday local time. (Time here now is 10:19 PM Sunday)

Hey! Your name is Mike. So is mine.

map

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2007, 04:00:06 PM »
if your still around. i have to set up my msn.com email aand i forgot my pop3 smpt settings. is there a way i can import them from the old drive? never mind. i got the new settings and the old drive died. so i have to say the last two days have been a nightmare. so, my biggest question now is , how do i get my new xp install to recognize my existing programs on my normal f: drive. or do i have to reinstall everything? i had envisioned this process going differently.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 07:45:37 PM by map »

contrex

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2007, 11:40:42 PM »
you have to reinstall, I am afraid.