Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: An Apple program bridge?  (Read 10641 times)

Beha

An Apple program bridge?
« on: July 12, 2007, 09:01:16 PM »
Okay, I just got my macbook pro and am working on figuring a few things out, so I have a few questions, and sorry, I'm sure you've all of these before anyways.

Ok, so is there a program that I can download that will let me install PC games and such on a Mac, or do I have to install Windows and run bootcamp?

And to uninstall a program, if I remember right, all I have to do is move the entire app to the trashcan then empty the can, correct?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: An Apple program bridge?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 12:20:42 AM »
If an application comes with an uninstaller, use it

Being that its a Mac, you are going to have some limited capabilities while running applications...

Check this out:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc

This is free, but I dont know where the Mac version is located:
http://www.winehq.org/

Beha

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:52:21 AM »
OK, so this WineHQ program, how well would it handle a game such as Battle for Middle Earth if I ran it and played it on my macbook do you think?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 06:11:57 PM »
OK, so this WineHQ program, how well would it handle a game such as Battle for Middle Earth if I ran it and played it on my macbook do you think?
If you want to play Games, you are just going to have to get a PC

WineHQ should be able to play them, but no program would ever allow you to play it at its best performance.
You might have to lower any graphic detail levels, and other performance options.

WineHQ has a list of compatible programs, check and see if its listed on their website.

Beha

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:48:21 PM »
I've heard though that installing windows on a mac and then using bootcamp does allow for pretty good gaming, is there any truth to this?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 01:55:10 AM »
I've heard though that installing windows on a mac and then using bootcamp does allow for pretty good gaming, is there any truth to this?
(Heads up: My post is a bit scattered...)
Do you have an Intel Based Mac?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

You have to realize one thing:
No mater what software you use, you are always emulating the Windows environment. Its not actually Windows.
Thus, some performance loss will happen. You may get more errors with special file types as well.

Running two operating systems at once can be a problem.

Bootcamp, however, appears to run the Windows OS on its own.
If it does run it on its own, then yes, it should run fine, but some of the Mac hardware might not be up to Windows standards, but nevertheless, it should still work

Bootcamp is in its BETA stages, keep this in mind. You might encounter errors from this, but it should be somewhat smooth.

(Hmm.... I wonder if Microsoft is going to sue for copyright infringement)

Beha

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 08:59:56 PM »
I don't think Microsoft will, cause they're making money off the sold OS's, so it's still profit for them, really.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 08:21:16 PM »
I don't think Microsoft will, cause they're making money off the sold OS's, so it's still profit for them, really.
Well, I guess thats true

(I have to admit, I really am not a fan of Apple or any of its products, so if it sounds like I start trying t lead you off into the DARK SIDE, let me know  :D )