Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do you start your own mine.nu server?  (Read 9512 times)

1337_shadow

How do you start your own mine.nu server?
« on: November 11, 2004, 04:47:09 PM »
I have been trying to start my own server. My friend reccomends starting my own server to host my site. He said this server would be called a "mine.nu server" (ex. www.d00d.mine.nu) I really want to do this, except i don't know how to start a server from my computer. Please help.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 07:35:45 PM by 1337_shadow »

mark_c

Re: How do you start your own mine.nu server?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 01:47:05 PM »
I don't know much about this but I understand that generally ISPs don't like you running a sever at home because of the traffic. And depending what package you've got you need a fast upload speed to satisfy your users and you've got the have the computer on 24/7 so not really practical. Wouldn't you be better to use the space on your ISPs server? They generally give their customers some megs to develop homepages, blogs, sites whatever. HTH

I think therefore I am puzzled.

1337_shadow

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 08:41:36 PM »
Well, at first i tried to put up a space on a isp's server, but they would let me do a lot of the things i wanted. Plus, I looked it over and my isp is pretty much ok with setting up personal servers. FYI: im on a cable modem

Corrosive

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 11:38:10 AM »
You'll need server software for a start. I use Apache server to test my PHP scripts locally, but it is possible to set it up to run as a server (in fact, pretty much every Unix based server in the whole world runs Apache). You'll have to get your nose into the documentation on that I'm afraid.

After that, you'll need to get the various components you wish to implement. Pretty obvious really - if you want to use PHP you'll need to download it's interpreter, etc. You should also start finding out a lot about security and get a firewall in place to stop the idiot script-kiddies screwing with it.

After that, create your site and your very nearly away. You see, at this point you certainly won't be able to access your site using the URL you specify: you can only access it with your IP address. To get the URL, you'll need to buy (well, rent) the URL from the various domain-name suppliers.

As Mark here says, you'll really have to have your PC on 24/7 in order for folk to access it. Your broadband connection will probably have enough bandwith to cope, but remember that you'll need some pretty nippy hardware to cope with all the people accessing it.