Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound not working  (Read 2091 times)

Comp Guy

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• All that is needed
    Sound not working
    « on: July 18, 2007, 05:47:30 PM »
    My friends cannot hear any sound out of their computer. They bought new speakers, but that didn't work. None of the volumes are on mute, and I updated the VIA AC'97 Audio control panel driver, but still no sound. Any ideas?

Trygon

Re: Sound not working
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
    Well, it seems obvious, but open up the Windows sound control (Doubleclick the icon in the task bar, or check the control panel) and make sure every slider is turned up and unmuted.

I only suggest it because I once replaced a sound card over a Wave slider that was turned all the way down.

Comp Guy

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• All that is needed
      « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 05:56:22 PM »
      The only thing that is muted is the mic.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 06:25:20 PM »
        CompGuy17 ...... when you go into the device manager and look at the sound devices ( expanded) .....are there any exclamation marks showing?

Have you tried clicking start and then selecting run .... and in the run box type ..... dxdiag ....... then when the new window opens, choose the sound test tabs and run the tests.

dl65 ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Comp Guy

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• All that is needed
          « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 06:58:39 PM »
          No, but I'll try those things when I go back, and I'll let you know how it goes.