Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cloning Win XP Pro Partition.  (Read 9040 times)

khvn

Cloning Win XP Pro Partition.
« on: July 17, 2007, 08:06:02 PM »
I'd like to set up 2 separate bootable partitions of Win XP Pro in the same HDD,
but don't want to go thru the pain of installing the OS again in the 2nd partition.

Can I somehow clone the OS currently on C: and put it on D:?

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
    Re: Cloning Win XP Pro Partition.
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:11:35 PM »
    Depends pn if you have such a program, and on if you have any drive big enought to temperarily store the copy of your hard drive. Actually, I don't think that you can partition a drive if you already have stuff intalled on it without erasing the drive.... Or can you?

khvn

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 10:16:43 PM »
    I forgot to mention: I have already partitioned (via PartitionMagic) my HDD into 2 partitions C: and D:.
    I want to clone Win XP Pro currently on C: and image it on D: and avoid the arduous process of
    installing the same OS on D: again.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 10:57:18 PM »
    Edit:
    Wait, cant PartitionMagic clone a partition? It would be much faster than this method:

Well... I would try this:
    Reboot into SafeMode
    ( http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#02 )
    Go into My Computer
    Go into the C: drive
    Click Tools>Options>View
    Make sure that "Show Hidden and System Files" is selected/ticked
    And make sure that no other files are being hidden... there might be a few things in there that might try to escape
    Click OK
    Now press CTRL+A
    and then CTRL+C
    now go to the drive you want EVERYTHING copied to, and press
    CTRL+V

Copy/Paste Method...

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 11:45:31 PM »
      I forgot to mention: I have already partitioned (via PartitionMagic) my HDD into 2 partitions C: and D:.
      I want to clone Win XP Pro currently on C: and image it on D: and avoid the arduous process of
      installing the same OS on D: again.

It'd take a little more than just cloning. 

You'd have to adjust all the registry data on the D drive installation to tell that windows that it resides on another drive.
      You'd also have to add an operating system to the boot loader to inform your system there's something on the D drive now.  That actually isn't as hard as it sounds -- Click Start, right-click on My Computer, and go into Properties.  In the Advanced tab, in the Startup and Recovery section, at the top you'll see some options about which OS to boot, how long to display the options, etc.  One of them should be something like "Manually edit file"  (I cannot say what exactly, as I'm using Vista.)  In there you'll probably only have one OS listed -- the one on the C-Drive.  Edit that file so that it points to the OS on both the C and D drive.  There's a couple other options to fiddle with there, and if you did it right hopefully next time you reboot you'll get a menu for which OS to boot into.  But, it's not to say it'll be that simple. 

Also, whenever messing with the boot loader of any OS it's a good idea to make sure you have access to the Recovery Console, either by installing it onto the machine or having the XP Install disk hand. 

Still, probably the best way to do this would be to simply reinstall it.  If you hate sitting there (as we all do) going through the options, consider making a SIF file.  A sif file is simply a file that has the answers to all of the questions that Windows asks during setup -- where to install, product key, time zone, etc., etc.  To do this you'll need a floppy drive, as XP's setup looks for it to find the sif file.  http://www.networkclue.com/os/Windows/install/unattended-install.aspx    has some good help for creating one of these.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
        « Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:25:17 AM »
        Also, I don't think you can copy system files when they are in use.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 02:04:49 PM »
        A cut and paste will never work for this anyways...
        A clone will work if you do it to another physical drive but it won't from partition to partition i don't believe.
        Reason is the boot files for the new partition aren't created in a clone operation. They would be created however if you just did a second full install to another partition. This way you will be given 2 boot choices at startup.
        If you clone what you have to another physical drive you can use either a boot manager to boot to the different drives or the BIOS setup utility to select which drive to boot to.

Let us know how you want to proceed...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

khvn

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 10:38:04 AM »
        Yeah, I have thougt of booting from another hard drive. I like this straight-forward  approach, but my laptop only has room for one hard drive. So if I want to boot from another hard drive, it will have to be an external USB hard drive. Not that I have any problem with this setup. In fact, I like the idea of just plugging an external drive and boot away--No opening up the PC, no setting up the drive, no nothing... Big question though: Can Windows XP/Vista currently support booting from external USB drive or is it still a pipe dream?

Back to reality at hand, I'm still looking for a reliable way to clone a bootable partition into 2 bootable partitions in the same hard drive.

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 03:22:19 PM »
          I can't really think of any good way of doing that. Cloning the partition is easy but the problem is that all registry entries in Windows will point to the old install on C. This will seriously mess up your cloned windows. In the end I think you'd be far better of going through a regular install. Like Anodoin suggested you can make it a bit easier on yourself by making an unattended windows installer.
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
            • Yes
            • Technology News and Information
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 11:37:24 PM »
          Sorry Patio
          (I figured that it would handle the Windows files since it was safemode...)

:-X

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 08:35:24 AM »
          You need to see if that laptop MBoard supports booting from a USB device otherwise this will be an excersize in futility...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "