Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help, I cannot reinstall my wireless card.  (Read 3961 times)

Angee

Help, I cannot reinstall my wireless card.
« on: July 21, 2007, 01:08:51 AM »
Hello,
 I have a kind of complicated problem. I have a Belkin G wireless card and it has been working fine for a year. I recently uninstalled it, but when trying to reinstall it would not work. I have e-mailed and called Belkin many times now and they have not been able to help me to get the card working again. They found that the problem is the card will not uninstall properly. I have tried add/remove hardware and programs, it did not work. I also tried deleting the folder and the card manually, but the computer kept coming up with a message the it may be running and could not delete it. The people at Belkin said that I have to remove the program from the registry key. They were supposed to have a technician call me that could help me with it, but he never ended up calling. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to delete the program from the registry so that I do not screw up the computer in the process, or if anyone knows any other way for me to solve this problem.
Thank you very much for any help you can give =)

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Help, I cannot reinstall my wireless card.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 01:28:16 AM »
I'd suggest trying to uninstall the card through Safe mode. It's likely something in the background is still using the card, which is causing the associated files that are in use to not be deleted.

Information about getting into safe mode:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Angee

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 10:57:28 AM »
I tried deleting it in safe mode and it deleted with no problems, but when I try to install the card I have the same problem. When I restart the computer after inserting the wireless card the hardware wizard comes up, i go through it and at the end it says, "The inf or the device information set or element does not meet the specified class". I know the drivers are correct because i tried to install them from the cd and also from downloading them off of the Belkin site.
thank you.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 01:22:05 PM »
I'm not sure if you're running Windows 2000 or not. However, the issue and resolution to the issue sounds like it would get you resolved. Try the steps found in the below document. If you need help with these steps let me know.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306983

If resolved please let us know also.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Angee

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 02:58:44 PM »
Hi,
 Ya I was looking at that link before and I was going to try it, but I don't understand "DeviceDesc:REG_SZ:3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)" It says delete it if the description pertains to a network interface card adn that is the example. I looked in the ven keys and nothing really looked like that. I can't really tell what I'm supposed to be looking for though. haha.

thanks again.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 03:17:47 PM »
Since you're looking for the VEN's I'm assuming this is a desktop and not a laptop. Make sure that is the case. Otherwise you should not be following those steps.

If this is a desktop, what I'd suggest is going to the PCI folder as explained in that document and instead of going through each of the VEN's manually right-click on the PCI and do a search for "Belkin" (don't search with quotes).

Hopefully that should go to the VEN folder containing the DeviceDesc with a "Belkin" name. If so you'd highlight the subkey, which is the folder underneath the VEN that often looks something like: 4&ee27b9b&0&5078.

If you did find one you'd want to repeat the above steps again until you don't find anything within the PCI folder that has Belkin in it.
-Albert Einstein

Angee

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 12:13:15 AM »
Ya I went on the registry and found the Belkin things under the ven key that I have to delete but when I tried to delete them and error message comes up that says, "unable to delete all specified values". I went into the securty folder and changed the settings like it said in the link but the error message still comes up.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 12:18:08 AM »
Hmm, make sure you're deleting the sub folder and not the actual VEN folder. If you're try doing the same thing from safe mode.
-Albert Einstein

Angee

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 12:32:21 PM »
I went into safe mode and tried to delete it. I'm not deleting the ven I'm deleting the file that says Belkin, but it still wont delete. Im doooomed!

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 05:47:57 PM »
Huh, that is strange. Well I'm only able to come up with three other suggestions.

First, is something I don't often recommend. However, in your case you may want to give it a try; use a registry cleaner such as the free Eusing registry cleaner.

If that doesn't work you could attempt to revert back to an earlier copy of Windows using the system recovery option. Additional information about this feature is found here.

Unfortunately if those suggestions doesn't resolve the issue I can't think of anything else but to reinstall Windows as it's likely something serious is occuring with your installation.
-Albert Einstein