Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: reinstalling win98 using MS DOS  (Read 6213 times)

bear613

reinstalling win98 using MS DOS
« on: November 14, 2004, 11:07:48 AM »
I am beyond desparate!  Im trying to 'repair' my father's computer from spyware *censored* and now it says there's an error with atmsys.drv and windows must be re installed.  Of course it didnt come with any CDs, so it has to be done from the HD.

I have some notes from a previous re install on my husband's computer, but I want to make sure this is correct because I have so much written here, Im afraid there is smthg Im missing.

cd c:\windows\options\cabs
[enter]
setup
[enter]

then there are extraneous notes that say-->

/iw/is

and

cd\windows
dir ifshlp.sys
:o :o
It's my fault for making such horrendous notes, but Ive searched all over the net and I cant seem to find anything.  All I find are insutrctions on how to do this with CDs.  If I had the CDs I wouldnt need instructions, lol.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
;D

Computer_Commando

Re: reinstalling win98 using MS DOS
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 11:23:05 AM »
Without CD's, do not attempt this.  Or use the CD from your husband's computer, if they're both the same version of Win98.  There's Win98, Win98SE (Second Edition), and sometimes a special Win98 for the paticular computer.

Try and clean the spyware any way you can and avoid formatting.  Once you format and try to reinstall, you will need all the drivers for the internal devices (modem, video card, etc.).

A reinstall without formatting will not overwrite anything except the Windows files, all applications and data will still be there.

bear613

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 11:32:32 AM »
Without CD's, do not attempt this.  Or use the CD from your husband's computer, if they're both the same version of Win98.  There's Win98, Win98SE (Second Edition), and sometimes a special Win98 for the paticular computer.

Try and clean the spyware any way you can and avoid formatting.  Once you format and try to reinstall, you will need all the drivers for the internal devices (modem, video card, etc.).

A reinstall without formatting will not overwrite anything except the Windows files, all applications and data will still be there.

I did it on my husband's computer without CDs, got instructions straight from Compaq, but now I screwed them all up.  That was 95 anyway.

The problem IS it keeps saying--->

error atmsys.drv  must reinstall Windows and shuts down.

Is there a way to correct that without re installing the whole shabang?  My poor old dad is 72 and cant afford another computer and really cant afford to have it fixed so he's really depending on me to help him out so I feel caught between a rock and hard place.  It didnt come with CDs so I cant re install that way.

Thanks

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 12:27:39 PM »
Try this:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/69692

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 01:21:23 PM »
do you have  a win98 boot disk<floppy>....load  it and at the prompt type scandisk /all or scanreg/fix >>>>>or restore...or boot to safe mode ctrl key or f8 on boot..
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 01:22:08 PM by merlin_2 »