Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Set Up - Last Try!  (Read 6329 times)

luckygrrl713

Wireless Set Up - Last Try!
« on: July 30, 2007, 10:24:28 AM »

I am trying to set up my wireless router in my new apartment.  I have Windows XP, and am using Comcast DSL.  I have previously been able to use my router and computers with RCN internet in my last place.

When I first tried to set up the router, I could use the internet (wired) through the router on my desktop.  However, the wireless was not working.  So I called the tech support (its a Buffalo Air System Turbo G router).  They had me change some things on buffalo's install page (the address that is all numbers) including a MAC address? and how it detected settings (to automatically detect).  I also was told to reset the router, unplug both the router and the modem, and do this several times in several different ways (I had to call twice, since my problem was not solved). 

After the first call, I had a connection to the network on my desktop, but it was only sending, not receiving packets, and I was unable to connect to the internet.  I didn't even try the laptop.  So I called again, and did the same things again (listed above).  I was told to just try unplugging both again for a half hour and setting it up again. 

This obviously did not work.  So my current thinking is:

1. The internet is working - My desktop is connected directly to the modem.
2. The wireless card in my desktop is working - because I can connect to other people's networks
3. I don't know if the laptop is working, it's old, so is not running xp, but the internet signal shown is in the excellent (100% range), but it won't connect. 
4. I can't tell if the router is working.  It was before, at least to connect my wired desktop to the internet.

I would really appreciate any suggestions before I go out and buy another router which may or may not even work.

Thank you!