Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Want to use current pc internet with my laptop  (Read 3966 times)

beadgoddess

Want to use current pc internet with my laptop
« on: July 27, 2007, 08:21:40 PM »
I'm sure this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything.

I just bought a used laptop off ebay.  It came with a lan pc card and a 56k modem pc card so I assume it has no internal modem??  I had never even heard of pc cards till I got this.  Anyway, I have dsl on my home pc, with a 2wire portal.  I want to be able to get on the internet with my laptop using my home connection.  How do I go about doing that?

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
    Re: Want to use current pc internet with my laptop
    « Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 08:37:29 PM »
    Do you know the model of the laptop? Is there a plug on the laptop like the one where the modem plugs into your desktop?

beadgoddess

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 05:37:56 PM »
    The laptop is a Gateway 2550.  It does have all the usb, and phone jacks.  But I need to go wireless, my pc is upstairs and need to use the laptop downstairs.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 08:30:30 AM »
      You'll need a wireless lan card 1st to connect. Then you'll you need to check and see if the wireless option has been turned on within the 2Wire router/modem.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
        « Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 09:31:31 AM »
        Does your 2Wire modem even have wireless? If not, you will need to get a wireless router.