Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Registry File was not Found  (Read 11295 times)

Rustytimberjack

Registry File was not Found
« on: March 16, 2004, 08:43:39 AM »
Hi!  I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me.
My computer is totally frozen.  I can not work in Safe Mode.  When I turn on the computer I get the message:  Registry file was not found.  Registry services may be inoperative.  Error in XMS cache.  Run Scan/Reg.
If I am in normal mode, this message comes up and then I get a dialog wizard box that wants to look for a driver for my new hardware (which I haven't installed).  When I cancel out of that or click finish, it then goes to a blank screen.  Is my computer dead?????????

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Registry File was not Found
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 08:45:54 AM »
Rustytimberjack,

No computer is ever dead it can always be fixed. However what operating system are you running? And was any hardware recently added to the computer or when this error occurred did you change anything that may have caused it?
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 09:03:36 AM »
Boot the computer using a bootable floppy diskette or CD so you can get to the MS-DOS prompt.

At the MS-DOS prompt type type cd\windows\command

Once in this directory type "scanreg /restore" this will restore an earlier version of your registry. Once completed reboot the computer and this should resolve any issues that may have occurred with your registry.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Rustytimberjack

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 09:08:50 AM »
I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by boot the computer with a floppy disk???  

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 09:58:03 AM »
That's ok... Basically a boot disk is a diskette that can be booted from, therefore instead of booting from the hard drive where your error is occurring it would be booting from the floppy or the CD.

Commonly the user can boot from their operating system diskette or CD. To do this put the diskette or CD in the computer and reboot. If you are trying to use a Windows boot disk it may take you to a setup screen however will often allow you to exit setup or exit to a prompt. If you are able to get to a prompt this is where you would type what was entered earlier.

Additional help and information about a boot disk can be found on the below page:

http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 09:58:28 AM by admin »
-Albert Einstein

Rustytimberjack

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 07:15:21 AM »
Hi!  It's me again!  Well, I didn't have a disk, but was able to download a Windows ME Boot Disk.  But, when I put it in the machine, the computer wants me to spit it out.  I get error message and then when I take it out, the screen goes blank.

But when fooling around with the function keys, I got a screen called Phoenix BIOS Set up Utility.  Is there something I can do here that will help????????