Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Floppy Drive Help  (Read 8095 times)

Drew

Floppy Drive Help
« on: March 15, 2004, 02:01:40 PM »
Having problems with floppy drive ( 3.5" )
try to use a floppy disk that i have currently used before and it keeps giving me the following error, disk is not formated, would you like to format disk now?  
*note this dose not do this constantly, but it keeps doing it untill the the computer gets rebooted.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Floppy Drive Help
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 04:39:55 PM »
Drew,

The error you described in your message is commonly a sign of a failing floppy diskette and the drives inability to read that diskette. If this were the only diskette that is causing this error we would recommend using a different floppy diskette. However if you are consistently getting this error it is possible that your floppy disk drive may be failing.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Bill Rifkin

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 07:03:01 AM »
I have the same problem,when trying to read a floppy disk I get a "disk not formated" response. This happens even with a new disk. I have changed the floppy drive and still have the problem with the new drive. In addition it seems to whip out any data on the floppy so that it can't be read by another computer. Any ideas of how to correct this problem would be appreciated.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 03:32:34 PM »
Bill,

This is interesting that this would happen even after you have replaced your floppy disk drive. If you have a computer operating system that enables you to boot to a real MS-DOS prompt, see if this issue can be duplicated in MS-DOS. If the floppy drive works fine in MS-DOS it is possible that Windows and/or the drivers for your floppy are corrupt. Information about getting to MS-DOS can be found on the below document.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chdos.htm

Below are some additional suggestions you may wish to try if your floppy disk drive is not working.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000277.htm
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein