Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: invisible hard drive  (Read 2166 times)

rikapple

invisible hard drive
« on: August 02, 2007, 02:35:11 PM »
I have a western digital hard drive, for some reason it is now inviviable to windows
it is detected in the bios. ( i have tried setting it as a slave and master, also primary and secondry)

The hard drive does not show in the my computer screen but if i go into device manager there it is!!
This has been anoying me for weeks now, there is a lot of data on there i do not want to loose has anyone any ideas, i would be greatful.

thank you in advance

Rikapple

truenorth

Guru

Re: invisible hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 03:21:35 PM »
    rikapple,more info required. Is this the only HHD in the computer?what were you doing when you lost the use of it?when you say the bios can see it what exactly does it say in refference to it? In the device manager are there any yellow question marks or exclamation points beside it? When you do a diagnostic from the device manager what is the result?What is your operating system? Have you added any new hardware around the time this "loss" occured? truenorth

rikapple

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 03:03:33 AM »
    No this is the second hard drive I have tried using it by itself but windows will not detect it. I am using Win XP sp2.
    THe bios detects it as the 120 hd it is. Either in slave or master.

If i run i diagnostic it says that it is working correctly

only yellow exclamation marks are for a raid controler which i dont have!

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 03:21:16 AM »
    Drive model number? Check if it's ATA or UATA and that the correct ribbon cable is being used.

Were the files on this disk created on your pc, was the hdd ever recognised and operable on your pc?

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.