Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 95 - I blew it!  (Read 6532 times)

architectbiker

Windows 95 - I blew it!
« on: November 19, 2004, 07:14:55 AM »
I have an old Win95 machine that got the Win98 upgrade in about 1999. I just got it back from my daughter. The file situation was a mess. I intend to this box strictly for recording WAV files from records and tapes so I can burn them to CD's. I've already had good success with this, so I know it's going to work. Two days ago I ran out of disk space, and since the registry was already a mess, in a moment of sheer brilliance I decided to format the HD and reinstall Win95, then upgrade it to 98 again. Well, I blew it! I formatted the HD from the Win98 boot floppy. Now, when I try to run the Windows 95 "Setup" program from the CD I get a prompt that says, "Setup.exe must be run from Windows". Windows is not on the HD anymore. I now have to boot the system from a 98 boot floppy. After it boots I do have access to the CD.
What can I do to get Windows back on the machine? THANKS!

Punga

Re: Windows 95 - I blew it!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 07:27:40 AM »
I probably know the problem.....

The first version of win95 supports only Fat16....... You're probably using Fat32...... If only I could remember how to fix it.

Punga

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 07:33:48 AM »

Windows 98 includes a utility to convert FAT16 partitions to FAT32 partitions. However, the Windows 98 utility is a one-way process. You will not be able to convert the FAT32 partitions back to FAT16 partitions. However, Partition Magic version 3.x can convert FAT32 to FAT16 and FAT16 to FAT32 partitions.  

Once you convert your partition to FAT32, the only operating systems that will be able to read and to write to your FAT32 partitions are Windows 95 OSR2 and Windows 98.

There is some info and maybe some reason to why windows isn't working right.... I suggest attempting to get this "partition magic 3.x" program..... considering that may be a solution.....

OR

You could always just buy a new HD and Install/Upgrade........

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 03:29:18 PM »
    Isn't it possible to completely wipe a harddrive and reset it to nothingness, so any filesystem can be used?

Raptor

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 04:12:01 PM »
    load the win95 install disk..it will format your drive so you can load win95 again......i woould also make a system floppy boot disk...you never no......
    « Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 04:20:55 PM by merlin_2 »