Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop with wireless router, excellent connection, no internet  (Read 15682 times)

bigjim28

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have a laptop, a desktop, and a wireless router.  The desktop is connected directly to the router and works fine.  The laptop connected wirelessly gets excellent connection but does not connect to the internet.  It doesnt even get a message in explorer that there is no connection, only a blank screen.

Laptop and desktop are both dells with xp.  The laptop can connect to the internet when I string an ethernet cord directly into the router, the only problem is with the wireless.

I have noticed that my gateway address on the router matches the gateway on the laptop which seems to be the usual problem.

ipconfig /all for LAPTOP
            Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Jimmy
            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-CE-F0-FE-DA
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 14, 2007 9:26:29 PM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:26:29 P

ipconfig /all for DESKTOP
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jimmy
            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-20-4C-48
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 14, 2007 9:26:29 PM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:26:29 P

ROUTER INFO
    IP Address  192.168.1.1
    IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Checked to use router as DHCP Server
    Starting IP 192.168.1.2
    Ending IP 192.168.1.51

Internet Port (in with router info)?
    Not sure what this is but here it is if needed:
    IP Address 76.84.195.108
    DHCP .... DHCPClient
    IP Subnet Mask...255.255.248.0
    Domain Server..24.94.163.100 and 24.94.163.101

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Laptop with wireless router, excellent connection, no internet
      « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 08:51:49 AM »
      "I have noticed that my gateway address on the router matches the gateway on the laptop which seems to be the usual problem."  If the gateway didn't match the router, then you'd have a problem.

Assuming you're using XP on the laptop, have you tried disabling the firewall / what AV & AS software are you using / scanned for viruses & spyware / has it ever worked?

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

bigjim28

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
        Thanks for the help.  I am using xp on the laptop.  Disabling the firewall did not work even after resetting the router and modem and restarting.  I have sophos antivirus (not sure what AS software is) which updates regularly when I am connected to the internet.  I went ahead and ran a full scan and only found a "MySearch Toolbar" which was deleted. Still did not work after this.

The wireless has worked in the past.  It laptop still connects if I plug it into the router.  The wireless seemed to gradually get slower over a couple weeks when it finally completely gave out.  Around this time my cable modem provider (Road Runner) had me reset my cable modem.  But the internet works fine at all times except for when using wireless, so I kind of doubt this means anything.  I then tried to secure the wireless connection using WEP (a password) and that didnt really do anything.  I have since put the wireless back to unsecured, one less "hurdle" to jump through.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:02:21 AM »
          Does it work unsecured?  If it does then that indicates that's where your problem is...in the encryption process.  That bears looking into.

Alan <>  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

bigjim28

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 11:14:29 AM »
            The wireless does not connect to the internet after I disable the firewall, is that what you mean?  The laptop does connect to the internet if I plug a cord directly into the router, whether or not the firewall is on.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
              « Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 06:22:55 PM »
              No.  What I meant was did the laptop connect with NO encryption set up on the router?

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the software for the wireless card?

You don't say if it ever worked.  What brand wireless router and network card are you using?

bigjim28

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 11:43:11 AM »
                Is encryption the WEP setting where you need a password?  If so, that is turned off already and it still doesn't work.  It did work in the past.  All of a sudden it stopped working and I couldnt get it to work again.  At one point, I got a notice from Road Runner (my internet service) that I needed to reset my modem for a faster connection.  The internet works fine now, but that was "about" the time that the wireless stopped working.  It may have not been the exact same time, but somewhere near that time.

I am using a Netgear router WGR614.  The wireless card is Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network, an internal wireless card that came with the laptop (Dell Inspiron).

thanks

bigjim28

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 11:58:36 AM »
                  I have tried unistalling and reinstalling the router before to no avail, but I will give it another try later on today.  I will let you know if that works.

Thanks

bigjim28

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 06:13:02 PM »
                    I completely reinstalled the router and I am still having the same problem.  Any other suggestions?  Is there any other information that would be helpful?

Thanks

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
                      « Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 07:46:46 AM »
                      Looks to me like the problem is down to the wireless card.  I'd try getting an external wireless (Netgear...I hate going cross-brand) PCMCIA card and see if that works.

bigjim28

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 04:56:13 PM »
                        Ok, in response that is down to the wireless card, I took my computer over to my parents this weekend who has the exact same router as I do, and my laptop wireless connection connected to the internet just fine over there!  What is going on?  It has to be something with the setup at my house.

After it says "wireless connection excellent", a few minutes later it will change to "limited or no connectivity."  When I look at the details under this it says:

Physical address:  00-13-CE-F0-FE-DA
                        IP Adress: 169.254.245.215
                        Subnet Mask" 255.255.0.0
                        Default Gateway
                        DNS Server
                        DNS Server
                        WINS Server

Does this lead to a solution?  Any more information be helpful?

Thanks, I am too stuborn to give up on this.

viking

Adviser
                        • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
                          « Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 02:59:49 AM »
                          Ok, in response that is down to the wireless card, I took my computer over to my parents this weekend who has the exact same router as I do, and my laptop wireless connection connected to the internet just fine over there!  What is going on?  It has to be something with the setup at my house.

After it says "wireless connection excellent", a few minutes later it will change to "limited or no connectivity."  When I look at the details under this it says:

IP Adress: 169.254.245.215
                          Subnet Mask" 255.255.0.0
                          Default Gateway
                          DNS Server
                          DNS Server
                          WINS Server

169.254.245.215 - Windows Apipa: automatic assumption of IP address when there is no dhcp server active (or when your computer has no connectivity to that server). Your computer gave himself an IP because he could not connect to a dhcp server.
                          This is a response at your home? He sais "I'm disconnected".

I am thinking at 2 situations:
                          - wireless adapter of the router is not in a good shape any more
                          or
                          - you have interferences at home. (microwave owen, a neighbour who has wireless router and somehow interferences appear, bluetooth devices etc)

bigjim28

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 05:18:48 PM »
                            Yes this is a response at my home.  I dont think it is either of the 2 solutions you give because:  my work latptop can connect to my wireless network at my house.  I has to something with the way my laptop is configured doesnt it?

Also, the connection seems to go in and out between "excellent connection" (however still does not connect to the internet) and "limited or no connectivity."  When I have "excellent" connection the specs are as follows:

IP Adress: 192.168.1.2
                            Subnet Mask" 255.255.0.0
                            Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
                            DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
                            DNS Server: 192.168.1.1
                            Lease Obtained 9/10/2007
                            Lease Expires 9/11/2007
                            DNS Server
                            WINS Server

Any more ideas?  This really does not make much sense to me since my wireless card on my laptop works in other wireless networks, and other laptops work on my home network.

viking

Adviser
                            • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
                              « Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 02:19:21 AM »
                              When your computer receives IP, the DNS field is not completed? Why don't you have a DNS server address in your last post?

If you assign manually an IP, still doesn't work?
                              Give him the IP 192.168.1.5, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1, DNS server 192.168.1.1 or the DNS mentioned by your ISP.

bigjim28

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 08:09:32 PM »
                                There is no DNS field when the connection is "limited or no connectivity."  There is the DNS field (192.168.1.1) when the connection is "excellent."  It tends to go back and forth between the two.  It does not connect to the internet under either one though.  When I open explorer the bottom of the screen says "detecting proxy settings" for a minute or so and then the page becomes a blank white page and it stops searching.

Really weird, my work computer connects fine here, and the problem laptop connects fine at my parents' house which has the same wireless router that I have.

nizamnizam

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 12:27:50 AM »
                                hi dear

I will try to help you

set your laptop mac address in the router.
                                after login in netgear router U will see a option wireless setting.
                                in wireless setting there is a option add device, U have to set the laptop wireless card mac address there.

I think it will work.

bigjim28

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 05:58:45 PM »
                                  Sorry, it didnt work.  I was able to add my laptop as you said but I am still having the same problem even after resetting the modem and router.  Any other ideas?