Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost CD/DVD ROM drive  (Read 8848 times)

bac0926

Topic Starter

Rookie

Lost CD/DVD ROM drive
    « on: August 26, 2007, 11:48:33 PM »
    My system crashed when I rebooted I discovered that I had lost my DVD/CD-ROM drive.  Device manager showed yellow exclamation points saying there was a problem with my primary and secondary IDE Controller (FIFO)
    It was suggested that I should remove the PCI IDE controller then let windows reinstall it. I did it did but I still have the yellow exclamation points and the same message. I checked the BIOS it sees it, DOS sees it however Windows does not
    What do I do?
    The system is:
    Windows 98SE 4.10.2222a
    Intel DG845GVSR MB  with Intel Celeron  2g chip
     Custom-built machine two hd 1 WD 20G 1 MAXTOR 80G
    Regularly run Adaware,Sbot S&D have AVG 7.5  anti virus
    I have a Original WINDOWS 98SE CD

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Lost CD/DVD ROM drive
    « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 02:16:11 PM »
    Re-install your motherboard drivers.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bac0926

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 11:02:04 PM »
      Minor problem. The drivers are on a CD-ROM. and I don't have a CD-ROM drive

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 05:25:03 AM »
      Travel to bootdisk.com and DLoad a Win98SE bootdisk...get the one with CD_Rom support .
      Extract it to a clean floppy and boot up with the floppy in.
      After start at the A: prompt type D: and hit Enter ...you should now have a working CDRom.
      Type dir /p and hit Enter...this will show the contents of the CD. Look for setup.exe...if its there type setup and hit Enter...the install should now run.

bac0926

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 11:09:04 AM »
        1) don' t need to down load one got one
        2) when you say at "A"  prompt type "D" I assume you want me to change directory to "D" ? If so I my case it's E cause I have 2 hd

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 02:57:53 PM »
        Yes that's what i meant...2 HDD's weren't mentioned which is why we always say lots of info is never too much.
        E: and Enter should get you there...have the driver CD in.

bac0926

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 06:18:50 PM »
          OK...will do sorry I forgot to mention that.....will let you know results

bac0926

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 12:54:17 PM »
            Here is a update. The CD-ROM that came with the board is apparently for windows,as there is no setup.exec  on but you have a autorun.
            but the somewhat good news is I went to INTEL's website and I think I found the correct file here is the file name for the readme. Could you look and tell me if this is the right one?
             http://downloadmirror.intel.com/4841/ENG/readme.txt

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 02:15:02 PM »
            If that driver matches your MBoard model that is the one you need.

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
              « Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 08:16:09 AM »
               If that does not work try this

Missing DVD CD DRIVES in xp an vista
              have a look at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

or this

a software patch from here can solve the problem sometimes, it was aimed at windows XP, but the problem is still there in Vista unfortunately
              go to this web page

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

and Download

XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it.  A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done.  You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

This utility is only intended for Windows XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility.  If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

this is another way you have to open regedit and change this key
              click start,  then enter   regedit

first back up the entire registry.

then look for this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I am sorry but if the key is not there you will have to create it, then you will see the drive again,

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

Click on the start menu.

If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.

Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.

In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.

Restart Windows.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer

XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

Usage: Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it.  A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done.  You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

This utility is only intended for Windows® XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility.  If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

Based on CDGONE.REG

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:

1. Click on the start menu.
                 2. If this is a Vista machine in the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.
                 3. Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.
                 4. In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.
                 5. Restart Windows.
                 6. Let me know if this works.   
              Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.