Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about upgrading RAM...  (Read 2765 times)

aces67

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Question about upgrading RAM...
    « on: August 26, 2007, 01:10:18 PM »
    I have a Compaq Presario Desktop that came with 256 MB of RAM. It has a Celeron 208 GHz processor. I have one additional slot for RAM that is empty. I'm running Windows XP and lately my pc is really bogged down. I got some new internet installed and the guy that installed it says I have to many programs on my pc.

My question is the internet installer says I don't have enough RAM. If I upgrade the RAM will that help my programs run faster?? How much RAM should I get?? Can I still use the 256 MB that's in my pc now and just add more to other empty slot??

Thanks!

Jess607

Hopeful

Re: Question about upgrading RAM...
      « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 01:41:31 PM »
      You should be able to just add another 256MB stick in the second slot.
      But we need to know exactly which stick you already have so we can get you an identical one.
      In any case, while this will make your computer faster, you should really look into buying a whole new computer if you are looking for a significant improvement.

aces67

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 02:02:22 PM »
        Yeah I really need a new computer but I can't afford one until at least February. So I guess the memory is a good choice then?? I went to memory4all and found my exact memory at a reasonable price so I guess I will try it out. I just have to decide if I want to buy a 256 MB stick or 512 MB stick.

Thanks!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 03:27:10 PM »
        In the meantime you should free up some space on that HDD...this will cause slowdowns as well.
        And do the regular maintenence as well including diskclean and defrag...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 04:17:23 PM »
          guy that installed it says I have to many programs on my pc.
          He probably meant too many programs running on your PC.
          You should check that out too.

sneakers

Beginner
            « Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 12:12:41 AM »
            Log on to crucial.com and do a scan and it will tell you what you can put in it.
            Case: Logisys Clear Acrylic - CPU: AMD Athlon FX-62 With HyperTransport Technology - RAM: 2GB  - Power Supply: 650 Watt SLI ready - Motherboard: Asus SLI Deluxe  - Graphics Cards: Geforce 7900 GT  - HDD: 2 - 36 GB Raptors     160