Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "MAC" physical address  (Read 4787 times)

koolotto

"MAC" physical address
« on: August 29, 2007, 04:28:11 PM »
The place I work for just came thru and recorded the "MAC" address and computer names of all the computers in the office. What can they "watch" by having this info? I heard they were concerned with bandwith issues on the network. Some of us play online games here at work. Could they monitor the sites we visit with this information? Thanks.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: "MAC" physical address
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 05:17:55 PM »
You need to remember one thing and one thing only...automatically assume anything you do in the workplace is being monitored...whether you are aware of it or not.

This is the only logical approach to assume...it's not paranoia.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kbm292

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 01:40:04 PM »
    Without more info about the network itself one can only assume.  However the chances are pretty good that it is being monitored, especially if there is a good firewall in place.  I would say it's safe to assume that the websites that are used most commonly for non work related things will soon be blocked.  However, they may have just been taking an inventory check.  As Patio said, it's a safe assumption that they were "watching" you guys before they took that info.  Maybe now they want to narrow it down a little.

koolotto

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:16:30 PM »
    Well, thanks for the info. I couldn't tell you much about the network. It does require a key code to have access. I guess things here might be changing......

mlb31623

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 11:13:36 PM »
    A MAC address is the physical address that manufacturers assign to the actual NIC (Network Interface Card). Each NIC has (is supposed to have) it's own unique MAC address. These are generally used for inventory purposes. If your company is monitoring you it is usually done using your IP (Internet Protocol) address. Generally speaking, I'd say about 80% of compasies do monitor their employees. I hope this helped.