Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive as Main Hard Drive?(Changed)  (Read 4001 times)

CompBoy09

External Hard Drive as Main Hard Drive?(Changed)
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:17:26 AM »
How can I use an external hard drive to boot windows?My newer computer has a now-defunct hard drive.I want to use the files on this computer and use it on my newer one,which has the better memory and better processor.

Now I'm not sure if copying files from another computer to an external hard drive to make it work with another computer will make some hardware conflict.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 09:32:44 AM by CompBoy09 »

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: External Hard Drive as Main Hard Drive?
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 12:49:34 PM »
    I don't know about older versions of Windows but XP and newer doesn't like being booted from external hard drives will not at all without some serious customization. Since you haven't told us what version of windows you plan on using it is hard to guide you further except to say that the general advice is to not attempt it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

CompBoy09

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 03:27:13 PM »
    Um,not sure what version this computer is using,do you know where I can find the version at?All I know is that this computer is Windows XP Home Edition

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 03:31:24 PM »
      XP Home would be the version then.
      You can take a look at this if you really want to try it.
      http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 05:45:23 PM »
      2 things you need to consider...
      1) you have to find out if your MBoard supports booting to a USB device...if it doesn't this is an excersize in futility.
      2) Follow the link above an dalso google "booting XP from an external drive" and see what is involved.
      It's difficult to do at best but this is by design. I guess Gates didn't want everyone walking around with bootable external drives for some reason...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 09:28:32 AM »
      How can I use an external hard drive to boot windows?My newer computer has a now-defunct hard drive.I want to use the files on this computer and use it on my newer one,which has the better memory and better processor.

Now I'm not sure if copying files from another computer to an external hard drive to make it work with another computer will make some hardware conflict.
      You haven't stated your question clearly.  What "files" are you talking about?  Why do you need to boot from the external hard drive if you just want to transfer some files to another, functional, computer?