Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP/Vista Partition Problems  (Read 3940 times)

evanparker2134

XP/Vista Partition Problems
« on: September 04, 2007, 12:04:45 AM »
First of all thank you for helping me out. I have a special problem, and one that needs addressing ASAP.

I installed Windows Vista Home Premium and then partitioned my hard drive using the Disk Manager in Vista. I gave that second partition 50 GB of space, enough for the XP-64 bit OS and whatever programs that would not run on Vista. The problem is that once I installed and went into XP, the Vista OS was no longer available in the boot list. The boot list looks like this:

Windows XP 64-bit
Windows XP 64-bit

I don't know why it lists XP twice, and am unsure if it has much to do with my problem. However, it is very odd. At this point I don't even care about the XP partition any longer, as it was my secondary/compatibility OS to begin with. Vista is my main OS and I would appreciate any input into my predicament. Thanks!

contrex

Re: XP/Vista Partition Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 03:16:30 AM »
In general, I think you have to install the older OS first. This was true if you wanted to dual boot e.g. Win98 & XP, so maybe you'll have to remove Vista and reinstall it, or maybe start over.

Spero-T

Re: XP/Vista Partition Problems
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 04:19:35 AM »
Yeah thats right xp comes first then vista !