Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need some help with windows please  (Read 2692 times)

sundown_south

need some help with windows please
« on: September 04, 2007, 08:56:09 PM »
I just bought a used computer from a freind whit windows 2000 pro. I installes windows xp. 2 porblems, 1 don't like windows xp and now have both window in system. How can I delete the xp out? Took up to much space with both in and put alot in back (D drive). Can someone help me? Thanks ???   Yes I just wish to remove XP not win2k.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 04:10:24 PM by sundown_south »

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: need some help with windows please
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 02:19:52 AM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

I assume you are currently dual-booting Win XP (on D:) and Win 2k (on C:) with Win XP as the default.

I suggest you edit the boot.ini file to delete all reference to Win XP and set the default to Win 2k.   Then reboot and if you successfully boot to Win 2k you can delete the XP system files on D:

If you need assistance to edit your boot.ini file please copy/paste the file into a response and editing instructions will be forthcoming.

Good luck
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Spero-T

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 02:50:53 AM »
If you want to repartition and format the hard drive, boot the system with a Windows 2000 boot disk and type fdisk which will bring you to the screen you will need to define the partitions for your system. Then format and reinstall your O/S of choice. This will get rid of the dual boot issue, provided you wipe out all partitions with fdisk. If it's still a problem, try fdisk /mbr which rewrites the master boot record of the drive.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 03:01:24 PM »
If you want to repartition and format the hard drive, boot the system with a Windows 2000 boot disk and type fdisk which will bring you to the screen you will need to define the partitions for your system. Then format and reinstall your O/S of choice. This will get rid of the dual boot issue, provided you wipe out all partitions with fdisk. If it's still a problem, try fdisk /mbr which rewrites the master boot record of the drive.

I think he just wants to remove the XP install...not wipe out his existing Win2K install...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

8bamboos

Rookie

• If one steals from another, somebody else will ste
    « Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 04:22:24 AM »
    I just bought a used computer from a freind whit windows 2000 pro. I installes windows xp. 2 porblems, 1 don't like windows xp and now have both window in system. How can I delete the xp out? Took up to much space with both in and put alot in back (D drive). Can someone help me? Thanks ???
    [/quote

please read this first.....
    Delete an OS entry on start up using boot.ini
    If you ever had two operating systems dual booting and wanted to delete the option on start up to choose which OS to start, simply do the following.
    1.   First, open a command prompt.  Click start, then run and enter cmd, then click ok.
    2.   Rnter the following command to see the boot info "bootcfg /query"
    (this will display your boot settings, what you will need is to take note of which boot entry ID you wish to delete.)
    3.   Then type the following "bootcfg /delete /id 2
    (In this case we have chosen to delete the second OS entry which we noted down earlier from the bootcfg query command.)
    4.   Then once you restart you won't get the option to pick what OS you want to load.
    The above is good if you uninstalled an OS but XP still queries you which OS to load.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/2balls.jpg[/IMG]

Life is all about *censored*; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one