Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows automatic updates will not install  (Read 40880 times)

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    Windows automatic updates will not install
    « on: September 11, 2007, 07:12:26 PM »
    I had to reinstall Windows XP Pro (SP2), because of a corrupted file When the computer does the automatic updates and installs them it says “some updates could not be installed” and it lists every single update. It keeps on downloading updates and installing them repeatedly. When I tried to contact Microsoft, they just tried to get me to pay, even though I should have two free contacts because I bought it two months ago. Anyone know how to get it to stop or how to uninstall the old updates so these new ones will be installed (they should be the same)? I did the automatic updates before I had to reinstall XP. (It does the same thing if I go to their update site)

PC specs:
    Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.35 GHz
    EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB
    2 GB of OCZ SLI-ready RAM
    500 GB Hitachi HHD
    McAfee Total Protection 2007

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Windows automatic updates will not install
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 07:32:45 PM »
    Whenever you re-install an OS all updates done prior to this are wiped out...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 08:15:22 PM »
      Then why are does it say they cannot be installed when they are downloaded? If they are deleted then it should be no problem to install them right? I have never had this problem with any of my XP computers.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 06:10:28 AM »
      Which updates refuse to install ? ?
      There may be a clue there...

When you re-installed what type of XP CD was this ? ?

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 06:20:28 AM »
        All of the updates refuse to install, the critical, security, IE7 and WMP 9. All 80 of them.

As for the CD, it is the original CD with the orange holographic design on the top. I have not changed CD’s from the first time in installed it a month ago.

mektek

Hopeful
        • Witty comment to be advised
          « Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 06:39:48 AM »
          Some updates need to be installed seperately.  There is often a note in red by the ones that need this when you review the updates.

i.e. 7 is often one of these.  You are running i.e 7 and not 6 aren't you?

Try installing updates one at a time rather than in bulk. see if this makes a difference.
          Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
          A computer that was working until tinkering broke it

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 08:49:46 AM »
            Yes I am useing IE 7 and i did try to install them one at  a time but it still did not work. This is strange, this has never happened to any one I know.

The Saviour

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 08:59:43 AM »
            Do you receive any type of error message from Windows Update when you try to download and install these updates?

If so, could you please post the exact text of the error message, please?

Thank you...

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 11:37:53 AM »
              There is no real error message; it just says, “Some files could not be installed." The screen shot is what it shows every time.

[saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

mektek

Hopeful
                « Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 04:40:31 PM »
                What happens if you click on the configure updates option box bottom left?

Have you tried switching off Automatic updates and manually updating from here ? http://www.update.microsoft.com/

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 04:47:07 PM »
                  It just brings me to the automatic updates settings, the box with there it has four options to choose. The first is automatic (recommended), with the time of day that you want it to download updates at a certain time of day. Then download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them. Thirdly, notify me but do not download or install them. Last to turn them off. I have the automatic setting turned on. I have gone to their web site but the same thing happens, they download but do not install.

tomshope

Intermediate
                  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                    « Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 04:52:41 PM »
                    Windows Update Failure

This is a not uncommon problem, particularly after either a major hardware upgrade or a Windows reinstall. There are 3 probable causes for the problem:

1. The Windows Update Temporary folder is corrupted.

2. Update Agent 3.0 is not installed properly.

3. Installer 3.1 is corrupted.

Here’s how to fix them:

1. Clean up Windows Update temporary folder

1.1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

1.2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

1.3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold. You will loose your history but not important.
                    1.4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

2. Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0

2.1. Download the file from the following link:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

2.2. Save the file to C: drive Root (C:)

2.3. Click Start, Run, type: "C:WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update engine. (There is a space between "C:WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce")
                    Note: If you are using Windows Vista, please save the downloaded file to the D: drive, because the file cannot be launched directly from the C: root directory.

3. Reinstall Windows Installer 3.1 (important)

3.1. Press Start and choose Run.

3.2. Type in "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press OK.

3.3. In the command line, type in the following command and press Enter:
                    MSIexec /unregister (Note: there is a space before the “/”)

3.4. Then, type in the following command and press Enter:
                    MSIexec /regserver (Note: there is a space before the “/”)

4. Now, try running updates again. If they still fail, then you’ll need to do a reinstall of Windows Installer:

4.1. Start, click Control Panel, and click Add/Remove Programs to check if Windows Installer 3.1 has been installed.

4.2. If it has, highlight and remove it.

4.3. After that, reinstall Windows Installer 3.1 from the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en

This should fix the problem

mektek

Hopeful
                      « Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 04:54:36 PM »
                      I always install from the website with automatic updates switched off for the first major update since there are so many then switch it on so it can pick up the rest as they happen.

Try it with the automatic updates option switched off. Go to control panel>security centre>windows updates to do this. This way we will see if it is the automatic updater that has got messed up and is causing the problem.

But tomshopes post above looks a better option first as we crossed posts.

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
                        « Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 07:08:57 PM »
                        It worked partly, now there are only a few updates that do not work. Should I do it again? The second method worked.

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
                          « Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 07:19:28 PM »
                          Never mind. I thought I worked till I restarted. Then  it said that it did not install. Now what?
                          « Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:35:26 AM by skykaptain »

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
                            « Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 11:15:08 PM »
                            what updates were these?

mektek

Hopeful
                              « Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 02:47:18 AM »
                              Whose second method worked ?

If it was mine then it points to there being a problem with a corrupted update file.

Tomshopes post looks like being the fix for that.

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                « Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 07:38:36 AM »
                                I thought that it worked but when I installed them, after doing all f the above methods, it still did not work. I tried the entire methods one at a time to see if it worked but it did not. The updates that are trying to install are updates for XP, security updates, IE 7 updates and updates for WMP 11, all 81 of them.

mektek

Hopeful
                                  « Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 08:08:26 AM »
                                  If you tried mine and tomhopes methods them i'm all out of ideas here.

If you still have your two free assists from MS then i would try insisting on them and see what they can pull from the hat.

Or someone who has encountered this problem and knows the answer may see the thread and post.

The Saviour

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 08:12:22 AM »
                                  You need to understand that the XP CD you have is good for only one computer...

If it is used to install the same OS on a different computer, you're going to have a validation problem...especially if you go to do a re-installation. You'll be prompted to contact Microsoft for a product ID and if it is already registered on another computer...well...you're just SOL.

You've already stated that you have contacted Microsoft and they told you to purchase the License.

This is probably the cause of all your headaches becuase Windows cannot be validated...and if it can't be validated, you're not going to be able to download and install any of your updates...

mektek

Hopeful
                                    « Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 08:20:48 AM »
                                    Saviour - I read that as they were trying to charge him for assistance not a licence.

If that's the case he only has 50 days less the time has been installed before XP expires.

Skykaptain - are you getting daily prompts to register your XP?

If it is a genuine copy that is unauthenticated contact MS with proof and insist on your authentication codes.

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                      « Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 08:24:44 AM »
                                      I reinstalled it onto the same computer. I have XP Home and I have installed it onto four different computers and nothing has ever happened. When I reinstalled Pro I did not register because I thought I did not need to. Should I reinstall it again and register this time? Sa for the two free assists from Microsoft they say I should contact my system administrator which is weird because this is my home computer. I am on a college campus right not and I am using their internet so maybe that is why and if that is the case should I go to the tech support people here?

I am not getting daily prompts to register. It is a genuine copy of XP, I bought it OEM from tigerdirst.com (with sticker that they said to put onto the side of my computer). When I reinstalled it, it was a repair install

mektek

Hopeful
                                        « Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 08:31:08 AM »
                                        I have XP Home and I have installed it onto four different computers and nothing has ever happened.

It is only legal to install on one computer and the same goes for your copy of XP pro

I am not a MS security expert but i believe if you have installed updates on the computer then it will have left a record with MS at that time.

They probably have records of multiple installs of the same updates from the one product number for your XP pro hence their request for money from you.

I have reinstalled XP pro to the same computer after a HDD failure - i told them it was this and they issued a new auth code. If it was only your second install i cannot see why they haven't given you new codes? They normally give a second install as standard.

Phone them again and ask why they wont give them.
                                        « Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 09:48:34 AM by mektek »

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                          « Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 08:36:22 AM »
                                          As for Home I never registered it under my name for address, I registered it under my mom’s name since it was her computer and for the other three computer they were all my friends computers. So for Microsoft, they should see one copy of XP on four different computer registered to four different people at four different times (over one year). The only thing that connects me to that copy of XP is the fact that when I ordered it, it came to the same house.

mektek

Hopeful
                                            « Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 08:43:36 AM »
                                            They have records of two installs from your XP pro. They should give a second auth code. without too much trouble.

If it is genuine and you have paid for it you are letting MS steal it from you. Phone them and insist upon your rights or a reason why not.

spiderlucci

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 01:50:26 AM »
                                            Windows update is actually a component of internet explorer, so damaged IE installation may keep windows update from working. Other causes for windows update's failing to work are covered in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 193385.Look up the step-by-step instructions for fixing a sick window update at http://support.microsoft.com

if you can't connect to this website because your browser's broken, open the Add/remove programs icon in control panel, select internet explorer from the list of programs, and click add /remove. you can uninstall or repair IE with this option.

this may fix the problem... but  I'm not sure..... I have fix PCs' in the past.... when they had problems with windows updates all to gether... it couldn't hurt.

goodLuck :) spider

seanbond

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 04:32:27 AM »
                                              this happend to me when i swaped mothrbords and reinstalled
                                              just give i a couple of weeks it goes away

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                « Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 07:30:17 PM »
                                                I think it is solved. I was on Microsoft’s website looking at their support topics and found out that for windows updates it is free to send them an email. I sent them one saying what my problem was and how I could not send them one before. I tried two of their ideas, which was to reinstall windows installer 3.1, (the other time id did not work) and now it seems to work. I still have to pay for any more help from Microsoft, if anyone knows the number of where I should call then that would be appreciated. I know that is not the topic of this thread so I do not expect an answer.

The Saviour

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 07:55:28 PM »

GX1_Man

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 08:36:41 PM »
                                                As for Home I never registered it under my name for address, I registered it under my mom’s name since it was her computer and for the other three computer they were all my friends computers. So for Microsoft, they should see one copy of XP on four different computer registered to four different people at four different times (over one year). The only thing that connects me to that copy of XP is the fact that when I ordered it, it came to the same house.

How does this fit in to "one copy of Windows per computer"????

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                  « Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 08:39:27 PM »
                                                  I've never had any problems before.

patio

• Genius
                                                  • Maud' Dib
                                                    • Yes
                                                  « Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 10:07:57 PM »
                                                  I've never had any problems before.

It seems these issues are now self-inflicted...that or MS has gotten quite sophisticated.

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                    « Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 06:04:49 AM »
                                                    XP Home is the one that is loaded on to three different computers, my version of Pro has only been installed on one computer.

3master

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2007, 12:51:08 PM »
                                                    Hello. I had the same thing happen to me.  I have been sitting here for a week trying to figure it out.

I just found this article.  I am off to work and repair will begin as  soon as I get back.

Thank you for your help........3master

skykaptain

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                      « Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 01:46:14 PM »
                                                      Windows Update Failure

This is a not uncommon problem, particularly after either a major hardware upgrade or a Windows reinstall. There are 3 probable causes for the problem:

Here’s how to fix them:

1.1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

1.3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold. You will loose your history but not important.
                                                      1.4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

2.3. Click Start, Run, type: "C:WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update engine. (There is a space between "C:WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce")
                                                      Note: If you are using Windows Vista, please save the downloaded file to the D: drive, because the file cannot be launched directly from the C: root directory.

4. Now, try running updates again. If they still fail, then you’ll need to do a reinstall of Windows Installer:

4.1. Start, click Control Panel, and click Add/Remove Programs to check if Windows Installer 3.1 has been installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en

Try all of the above, for me it was reinstalling Windows Installer 3.1. When you try the deferent choices close all windows before doing the other ones. That was my problem the first time and if it doesn’t fix it then look at Microsoft’s support site. It should be a free email dealing with Windows Update problems. When I emailed them they gave to other options but they were for research purpose and they were for my email address and topic number.

longfatyoung44

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2007, 08:21:31 AM »
                                                      Windows Update Failure

Here’s how to fix them:

Net stop WuAuServ

Net start WuAuServ

Thank you!!!! This worked for me I was having the same problem!

Alan Bod

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 09:58:35 AM »
                                                      Toms method worked very well on my PC but as the posting was a few months old please be aware you might need to download a windows installer for Update pack 3 of XP as this refers to update pack 2

Chir6

Rookie
                                                        • Yes
                                                        • RepairStar
                                                      • Certifications: List
                                                      • Computer: Specs
                                                      • Experience: Experienced
                                                      « Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 12:38:34 PM »
                                                      How it going with this one?  I assume your knowledgeable. If it's still not fixed, Perhaps their is something goofed in the auto update configuration.  I stumbled upon this utility, Dial-a-fix when I was looking to help you.  Dial-a-fix is a collection of known fixes gleaned from Microsoft Knowledgebase articles, Microsoft MVPs, and other important support forums, that will assist you in repairing problems with your system. Although this tool is ordinarily meant for power users, technicians, and administrators, it is quite safe to use even without technical guidance (although it is recommended). Simply choose the solutions you wish to apply via checkmarks, and click GO. There are other buttons and tools present on the main dialog as well, such as the policy scanner. All tools and checkmarks identify their purpose when you mouse over them.  I can't guarentee anything but I would try this for your problem and see if you can get anywhere. 

Admin edit: I don't mind the mention of OneCare, however please do not link to affiliate programs.
                                                      « Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:26:52 PM by Computer Hope Admin »

hiloed

Beginner

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 01:56:25 PM »
                                                        You might try this.
                                                        Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
                                                        regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
                                                        regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
                                                        regsvr32 wucltui.dll
                                                        regsvr32 wups.dll
                                                        regsvr32 wups2.dll
                                                        regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

Also try the Windows Installer link for Non-Vista machines from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346