Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Application Server Structure  (Read 6988 times)

powlaz

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Application Server Structure
    « on: September 11, 2007, 04:21:49 PM »
    I am stuck for ideas and can't find much in Google about how to organize an application server. 

Currently programs with very limited access that are run from the server are installed to a directory in a mapped drive F:.  The F: drive also contains restricted files for the same group of users.

Programs that can be run by everyone from the server are installed in a mapped drive G:  The G: drive also contains all of the rest of the company files.

I expected to leave F: and G: for files and create a P: drive for programs.  The problem I am having is:

1.  Is it commonplace for everyone in a company to be able to see the install directory of a program?
    2.  I need to keep most every user from parusing the restricted programs' installation directories.

Maybe I just worked this out.  If it's not a bad thing to have the entire company mapped to the P: drive then I could Share this drive with Everyone and then lock down the various directories accordingly.  Also, now that I think about it, using advanced permissions I should be able to fix it so authorized users have full access to the directories but are not capable of moving or deleting them, right?

If my realization is right I guess my big concern is with how most companies structure their application servers - are the program directories visible?  If not, how are they kept from the user's sight but still available to use?

Thanks for the help,

Po

Spero-T

Re: Application Server Structure
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 05:13:04 AM »

mektek

Hopeful
    • Witty comment to be advised
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 05:42:45 AM »
      Start with what server program you are using. They all operate "slightly" different.

Server2000 Small enterpise? Server 2003 Enterprise? Appache?
      Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
      A computer that was working until tinkering broke it

powlaz

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 07:05:12 AM »
        Thanks for the replies guys.  I didn't check the link yet.  Just wanted to give more information: 

We have Windows 2003 Standard R2 SP2 servers.  What more information can I give you that's relevant?

Po