Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: external harddrive  (Read 2568 times)

tazpaige

external harddrive
« on: September 16, 2007, 12:46:50 PM »
dell dimenison 4600 mini tower
30gb harddrive
2 mb memory
cd/cd r/w and read dvd

my computer (event log) is telling me that i have a harddrive problem and need to backup my drive.  i thought of trying a second harddrive but, worry about changeing the drive letters for  my cd r/w or the r/dvd.  so, i am asking if someone can tell me what type of external drive i should get.  i a leaning towards the type of houseing that will allow me to change the harddrives in it.  i know nothing about the new usb 2.0 externals. 

thanks for your help.

tazpaige

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
    Re: external harddrive
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 03:09:53 PM »
    You should get an external hard drive enclosure kit if you plan on switching around the hard drives as the externals. Otherwise, just get an external hard drive. I believe that you can boot from an external USB hard drive by changing the settings in the BIOS.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 04:33:47 PM »
      An earlier post i was involved with by someone other than myself if i remember correctly stated that one could NOT boot from an external drive for the O/S XP.truenorth

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
        « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 05:24:59 PM »
        Ok sorry I got confused with something else. :-\

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 07:35:43 PM »
        An earlier post i was involved with by someone other than myself if i remember correctly stated that one could NOT boot from an external drive for the O/S XP.truenorth

This is true for XP and anything newer as far as Windows is concerned...
        To clarify...yes it can be done with aton of tweaking...is it worth it ? No.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "