Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help Me PLEASE  (Read 5153 times)

bigbennd

Help Me PLEASE
« on: September 19, 2007, 12:17:39 PM »
I Just built my first computer and All I get is a black screen that says insert system disc and press enter.  When I do that it keeps saying the same thing.  Do i have to install all the drivers first for the motherboard and stuff.
also, I havent installed my os yet because i cant get past that darn black screen.  I am so anxious to get this thing going I cant stand it

contrex

Re: Help Me PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 12:40:54 PM »
1. Read the motherboard manual.
2. Go in the BIOS setup and set it to boot off a CD-ROM.
3. Insert your OS CD and follow the instructions.

bigbennd

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 08:52:55 PM »
Thank you contrex.  Changing the boot order did help but still did not get me where I need to be.  Now I am getting a blue screen of death. Quote

I recently built my first computer and have had nothing but problems.  I first was getting a black screen telling me to insert system disc.  When I did this it would just keep repeating itself over and over.  Since then, with the help of you guys, I was able to go into bios and change my boot options to boot from cd.  I thought that was working but when I am installing xp it gets to about 3 minutes remaining and goes to a blue screen.  the error message is different every time I try to reinstall windows and depends upon the time left when the message comes on.  The main one that it keeps telling me is page_fault_in_unpaged_area.  I talked with a guy from microsoft for 4 hours tring to get this resolved.  I have talked with 2 guys I know who, in my opinion are the best there is and no one can help me.  Tonight I left the computer with a friend who said he would work on it some more.  I am at my witts-end with this thing.  One time I actually got it to intall and load windows but it will only load with the cd in.  plus it will only load for a bout 10 seconds and then restart automatically.  If anyone could help I would really appreciate.  DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO?
here are the specs:
xfx 650i ultra motherboard, g8400 nvidia graphics, 200g hd, intel pentium 3.0gh proc. 
PLEASE HELP

contrex

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 11:44:03 PM »
You have a hardware problem. Maybe hard drive, maybe memory, maybe motherboard. These are the hardest to diagnose. Check that memory (RAM) iis compatible with motherboard, is good quality, is seated correctly, that hard drive cable is properly connected, that video card is seated correctly. Then check by substitution (swapping) with known good items. If necessary return items for exchange.

bigbennd

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 04:15:42 AM »
Thanks contrex.  I have already tried my old hard drive on that computer and it does the same thing.  the guy where I left my computer yesterday has 4 sticks of ram.  I will try to swap out one of his sticks with mine.  I sure hope its not the motherboard.  I do not want to remove all those components again.  It took me all day to set up the last time.  I will post back later with results

Thanks

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 04:40:25 AM »
Sometimes the motherboard stand-offs not installed
properly can cause the motherboard to ground out.

The motherboard grounding out is one of the most
common problems during a build.

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Showitem&partno=03002&rsite=f.03002
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

contrex

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 05:49:57 AM »
Surely with a shorting-out mobo, you'd get no results and maybe a cloud of smoke, rather than an XP install that nearly completes?

I thought of another thing... a weak or failing or under specced power supply.

bigbennd

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 09:07:23 PM »
Contrex you are AWESOME!!!  I swapped out my ram with my friends and xp intstalled and ran fine.  I intalled all my drivers and made some new folders for games and things with NO problem at all.   I swapped my memory back and things apeared to be fine.  I set up a few more preferences and then tried to install world of warcraft.  The computer restarted.  I tried to run it again same thing.  Soooo tomorrow I am going to buy some more ram and send the old back.  So when I get the new ram from tiger I will have 2g ddr.  I am very busy tomorrow but I will try to respond with the newest update.  Hopefully I will be responding on my NEW COMPUTER!!  Thank you everyone for your advice and special thanks to Contrex.

contrex

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 04:04:55 AM »
Hopefully you made a note of what type and make your friend's RAM sticks were, the ones that worked, and you ordered the same kind.

bigbennd

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 01:16:52 AM »
Thank you again.   I am posting this message on my NEW COMPUTER!!  It finally works.  I think that the ram I bought from Tigerdirect was for an apple.  At any rate it all works fine now so thank you very much.  I will definatly be checking in daily with all of you to see if I can learn a thing or to more.  This has been quite the learning experience for me now.  My next project is to install lynux as a secondary os.  but not tonight.  Windows is still doing all its updates and stuff.  Thank you everyone

contrex

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 02:11:00 AM »
Glad it works now -- well done for persisting.

Also, top marks for

-giving full information about the problem
-showing appreciation for help received
-providing the "payoff post" describing sucessful outcome
-being an all round OK guy/gal!

Note to other posters/visitors... you don't have to be a professor of psychology to see what works on here.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 03:05:06 AM by contrex »