Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "TIP OF THE DAY"Fixing a broken windows update  (Read 9082 times)

spiderlucci

"TIP OF THE DAY"Fixing a broken windows update
« on: September 19, 2007, 06:25:46 PM »
Windows update is actually a component of internet explorer, so damaged IE installation may keep windows update from working. Other causes for windows update's failing to work are covered in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 193385.Look up the step-by-step instructions for fixing a sick window update at http://support.microsoft.com

if you can't connect to this website because your browser's broken, open the Add/remove programs icon in control panel, select internet explorer from the list of programs, and click add /remove. you can uninstall or repair IE with this option.

TIP OF THE DAY! ;)
spider

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: "TIP OF THE DAY"Fixing a broken windows update
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 07:34:42 PM »
if you can't connect to this website because your browser's broken, open the Add/remove programs icon in control panel, select internet explorer from the list of programs, and click add /remove. you can uninstall or repair IE with this option.
I don't believe that's correct, not for Windows XP SP2.  It has no repair option for IE that can be launched via Add or Remove Programs. 

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
    « Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 09:08:36 PM »
    try installing the latest version of internet explorer and it should update and install the missing components.

spiderlucci

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 04:39:26 PM »
    not true soybean and remember what I said, "Windows update is actually a component of internet explorer"!
    I have fix PCs' in the past and it has correct these issue.
    excuse me, when you go into the add/remove programs click on add/remove windows components.. you will see it there on the left pane.

good luck!
    spider ;)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 08:43:53 AM »
    not true soybean and remember what I said, "Windows update is actually a component of internet explorer"!
    I have fix PCs' in the past and it has correct these issue.
    excuse me, when you go into the add/remove programs click on add/remove windows components.. you will see it there on the left pane.
    Yes, the option to "remove" Internet Explorer is under Add/Remove Windows Components.  "Removing" it does not really remove the program files for IE from the system; it just removes it from the Programs menu and any shortcut icons to it, making it appear as though it has been "uninstalled". 

Nevertheless, I believe removing IE and then adding it back may, in some cases, resolve problems.  I suspect this is due to resetting of settings to default rather than any actual repair procedure. 

Windows 98SE, and maybe other versions of Windows, truly had a Repair procedure for IE, which was accessed via Add/Remove Programs.  You select IE for removal, went the next screen, and had options to unistall (which really meant going back the previous version of IE) or repair.  Win XP does not have that.

spiderlucci

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 05:28:50 PM »
    OK soybean, you need to do some reading... I  have a good books for you.
    PC Help Desk Leo Laporte's and I do believe the MCSE Windows XP Pro 70-270

can't remember the page I read it on the MCSE but,  PC Help Desk Leo Laporte's chapter 2 PG 133.

I forgot about that info from all the books I  read and believe me, I have alot or had. I just so happen to read that section that night and said to myself... WOW, I forgot!

Note: I wouldn't give at info if it wasn't fact... do you think I just guess about computers because I know about computers ???  :P

There are people out there that because they know about computers they think there right about everthing and I know for a fact I don't know everthing. This is why I research and Learn... not only from you guys but, also from books.... They are the best teachers.

yes I do believe your right ...about it doesn't have a repair option for SP2 but  windows update is a component of internet explorer so that means it will repair your windows update anyway! as soon as I find the page for the MCSE ... I'll let you know... this doesn't mean I disagree with you "remember that"

nice talking to you and hope to hear from you again
    seeya spider  ;)
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 05:52:37 PM by spiderlucci »