Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Switching Processors  (Read 3679 times)

benjidgarrett

Switching Processors
« on: September 22, 2007, 11:58:23 AM »
I have three PC's and have different processors in all of them I suspect. I have one with a Celeron chip, one with a Pentium II chip, and the other has what I believe is a standard Pentium processor. Now, are any of these interchangeable or do I require different motherboards? I am an inquisitive self-taught kind of person and like to figure out how things work and if I can change things for the better. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jess607

Hopeful

Re: Switching Processors
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 12:15:08 PM »
    No, those CPUs are not interchangable. They will only fit inside their own computers, respectively.

davyburns

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 04:21:40 AM »
    Jess is Right, but just for your own info, have a look at some websites, and you will see there are a lot of different sockets with varying numbers of pins. If you need to change a CPU, you will have to get one that has the same socket, and number of pins as the one you are replacing - and make sure the motherboard will support it.
    Davy

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 09:20:25 AM »
    Many Celerons and Pentium chips will run on the same MBoard...you will need to do some research to determine this however...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

davyburns

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 02:01:28 PM »
    I have yet to see a motherboard that support a Celeron and a Pentium 2 chip

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 03:06:46 PM »
    I have yet to see a motherboard that support a Celeron and a Pentium 2 chip

Where did i say Pentium 2 ? ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
    Think Socket 370.  ;)

Mastodont

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 03:59:16 PM »
      There are several genarations of processors named Celeron based on different generations of Pentium processors. If your Celeron is based on Pentium II or an early version of Pentium III it can be interchangable with Your Pentium II. Pentium II uses a slot intrface (Slot I) and not a socket. If Your Celeron processor is assembled into a circuit board which looks a bit like an expantion card (e.g. a video card) then it is probably also a Slot I processor and can be interchanged with the Pentium II provided that FSB frequencies can be adjusted properly. None of them can be interchanged with Pentium I.