Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bad motherboard??  (Read 3321 times)

deep

Topic Starter

Beginner

Bad motherboard??
    « on: September 19, 2007, 11:03:06 AM »
    My kids computer is one I built, everything worked fine for a long time, but recently it started rebooting itself, then would give the safe mode screen and just keep restarting finally giving me the blue screen stop error.  I tried to reinstall windows, but after it installs I get the blue screen "a fatal error to protect your computer windows is shutting down, blah blah blah STOP ERROR and the number is always different.  I tried a new hard drive, same thing, I changed out power supplys, same error.  I tried removing different PCI Cards, took out memory sticks, tried a stick I knew was good, same errors.  I am thinking it must be a bad mother board, oh and I even changed the motherboard battery thinking that may be it.  I dont know whatelse it could be????????  I dont want to buy another motherboard and I have never seen a bad motherboard do this, they usually just stop working when they go bad.  Any ideas fellas???

deep

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Bad motherboard??
      « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 04:28:27 PM »
      Oh come one guys, dont tell me I am the smartest one in the room???  All of you have answers for piddly problems but not for me??  Come on, this is serious, I need something else to try before I bother buying a new board and proccesor & RAM. 

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 04:45:57 PM »
        deep, would you please tell us more about this computer and what is in it as well as what O/S your using. More info might go a long way to garnering assistance.truenorth

deep

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 05:10:58 PM »
          It is AMD 1600+ on a Asus motherboard with 1.5 gigs of ram, HD is 80gigs (western digital) has a nvidia gforce 6200 256meg vid card.  It is running XP.  However I find all that irrelevant at this point in time.  I have tried all the fixes, is there a way to see if the motherboard is bad or not? 

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 03:36:39 AM »
          If after you re-install fresh xp,and try to go to the safe mode with the same result again and again i would vote for the mobo.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:15:12 AM »
            Deep,Indeed you seem to have been very thorough in your approach to your problem. The one item (other than your refference to the "power supply") that has not been addressed is the possibility of a heat problem caused by a faulty cooling fan somewhere.Have you looked into that?How are your temps?Is there a swollen capacitor or any other scorched or damaged looking part on your MOBO?I gather that you cannot get the computer to stay in safe mode very long thus your diagnostics are severely hindered.Maybe Patio could give you some more suggestions he/she has a better than average understanding of these arcane problems.goodluck,truenorth

deep

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 08:46:18 AM »
              There does not appear to heat damage.  The problem I am having is I dont want to buy another board, processor and RAM.  I am finding this one being 3 years old is already dated and cant find so I would have to up the ante, I hate buying cheap so I may just say screw it and buy myself another sick set up and let my kids have my AMD 3200+ with 4 gigs of ram and they can game on that and I will buy the latest for myself, kids dont deserve the best, and we motocross and race AMA races so most of my money is tied up in their bikes and mine as well.  Anyone know of a place to get a discount board and processor?  Not sure if I really want a new computer, mine is pretty *censored* powerful and I have no need for yet another one. 

deep

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 03:48:29 PM »
                BUMP