Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MIRRORED RAID QUESTION  (Read 4092 times)

kingb11

MIRRORED RAID QUESTION
« on: September 25, 2007, 06:47:31 PM »
My question is; will a mirrored raid work correctly if the data on the second drive was put there through a ghosting process outside the raid and installed into the raid instead of going through the copy process inside the raid?

Because the copy process can hours with large hard drives for years when installing a mirrored raid in a data server, to save time I’ve been ghosting the data drives outside the raid then installing the drives and just starting the mirrored raid without going through the copy process but enabling auto rebuild.

Recently I installed a Netgear NAS Raid server and learned that, at least with the Netgear NAS, the mirrored raid has to be built through the copying process inside the NAS.

This made me question if the same is true for a normal mirrored raid as well. I have asked a number of my normal networking friends and everyone has a guess but no one seems to know for sure.