Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Harddrive question???  (Read 2500 times)

Richenstony

Harddrive question???
« on: September 26, 2007, 08:31:50 PM »
Hello everyone

I had recently added a old hard drive i had lieing around the house into my computer , now i had this issue before and i ended up scrapping my  HD .....now this is the same one but now i have a little more patients than i did back then and im willing to take in some advice for the problem.....

Ok the problem is the Maxtor 160gbs will not take a clean install of x-p at all , it will not act as a master hard drive for my computer what so ever , the x-p bios set-up repeats itself over and over again with no installation what so ever going on it formats fine , but it wont install x-p ...... now i decided to link the hard drive up  on one of the spare IDE ports on the mobo which i did i load x-p and use my old western digital hard drive as the main hd and it boots fine i take a trip into my computer and there is my Maxtor sitting there d:\ drive it works and runs fully //// but heres the issue i have, i need the other IDE port for my computers dvd-rom drive ive tried connecting the slave into the main western digtal and then reconnected the same cable aka the master part into the other one with full power going into both hds i get a error message lsass.exe failed then i turn my computer off and unplug the maxtor and the computer runs fine ....

Any suggestons lol :(

Tony ;)

linuxlover

Hopeful
  • That's not Data!
    Re: Harddrive question???
    « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 09:33:52 PM »
    I'm a linux geek not a windows one, but maybe your jumpers are set at both master or both slave. Or maybe it's one of those limitation within the OS itself.
    System Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    1024MB DDR400
    GeForce 7600GS
    160GB SATA II
    500-watt PSU
    Techforumz.tk

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 02:05:32 AM »
    Yes...Exactly what I was thinking. Check your jumpers as some drives are different and I've even met a few that took them horizontally :S

Kurtis

Spero-T

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 04:51:01 AM »
    This may help you

Link Edit
    « Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 06:30:54 AM by patio »